Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fries and sauce

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joris, Jul 12, 2004.

1. All right, I have a very important topic to discuss.

As you may or may not know, the Dutch are best known for their fries... well, almost ;) (after all, we have a province called Friesland). Though Belgium and France are pulling some weight too ;)

My girlfriend and me were having a conversation of what kind of sauce people like with their fries. Most Dutch like mayonaise, as do the Belgians. But today at the dinner table we looked at a new sauce bottle we bought, which says "American fries sauce, the real one'. A Dutch product by the way. So I thought: this must've come from somewhere; there must be a lot of Americans who like this sauce, which is very much like mayonaise, with their fries. Or else they wouldn't have called it "American fries sauce". And they wouldn't sell this stuff at every MacDonalds around here. My girlfriend argues with me: "Nah, they don't eat that kind of stuff. The American just don't have that habit of drenching their fries in mayonaise or this stuff".

Then I said: I'm willing to bet that there are more Americans than Dutch who eat mayonaise-like sauce with their fries.

Who's right....?

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

I think that most Americans use ketchup with their fries. Some people just eat fries without any sauce. Some people will use a mixture of ketchup and mayonase which is usually called fry sauce - but I dare say that strait ketchup is much more popular. I've seen people use mayonase with fries, but I think its far from popular. My new favorite for fries is gravy, those Canadians know a thing or two about a thing or two!

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Your girlfriend.

4. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Definitely ketchup or nothing. I've seen that sauce you are talking about, it's a mixture of mayo and some other unknown substances. I'm not a fan.

5. Yup, your girlfriend is right. Tho catsup is more popular, and I've seen many eat them with Mayo, yes, many like them plain with a bunch of salt.

I love fires with mesquite KC Masterpiece barbeque sauce.

Stunner.

Vive les Pommes Frites!

6. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    They only people I know who eat mayo with their fries are people who at one time lived in Europe.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

When you order fries here, eat-in/carryout/drive-thru, ketchup will be available to you and will typically be included without asking with your order, in small packets. If not, you ask for it and act offended because serving fries without ketchup is considered traitorous.

Personally, I like fries with a mayonnaise-based sauce that's sort of like tartar sauce, (called "sandwich spread"), but ketchup will always do.

My trips to Mexico and Central Amercia got me going on the mayonnaise-type sauce + fries thing.........(they also offer it with lots of their simply cooked seafood like shrimp/red snapper in the Carribbean).

Many, many, Yanks just like their fries plain. However, you can find "cheese fries" offered in many places. These are designed to kill you by blocking up your arteries with grease/fat as many fast food joints here also have diversified their business to owning mortuaries. :D

You may owe your girlfriend a lobster dinner. :D

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Catsup/ketchup is what we use over here. Some of the McD's over in Europe actually limit, or even charge for, how many packets you can get!!

My highly un-scientific poll says about 99% of Americans use ketchup and no mayo based dipping sauce. Your girl is right.

9. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i love mayo on my fries

10. Pfft...i laugh at all your dipping sauces...here in Canada we smother fries with gravy and cheese. :D

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I honestly can't remember the last time I had french fries, but when I did, it was with malt vinegar and lots of pepper.

12. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    After ketchup, that is my fave. Frying in peanut oil is also crucial.

13. Isn't that always the answer if you know whats good for you :D

I used to go with ketchup, now nothing, but on my visits to Canada I did enjoy the gravy on fries, as long as they werent all soggy like

14. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Now that we've established that catsup (or ketchup) is the sauce of choice here in the U.S., now let's hear your favorite. I personally like Heinz, but I would use Grace Catsup from Jamiaca if it were easier to come by here. Then of course there always Chili-Cheese Fries! MMMMMM :hyper:

15. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've lived in America all my life and I've never heard of "fry sauce"

16. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    i heard or fry sauce once it was in the mid-west and it was mayo based nothing like that on the east coast however i love mayo on fires but even better is tartor sauce

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    VINCENT
    Also, you know what they call a Quarter
    Pounder with Cheese in Paris?

JULES
    They don't call it a Quarter
    Pounder with Cheese?

VINCENT
    No, they got the metric system
    there, they wouldn't know what the
    **** a Quarter Pounder is.

JULES
    What'd they call it?

VINCENT
    Royale with Cheese. (snip) But you know what they put
    on french fries in Holland instead
    of ketchup?

JULES
    What?

VINCENT
    Mayonnaise.

JULES
    God****!

VINCENT
    I seen 'em do it. And I don't mean
    a little bit on the side of the
    plate, they ****in' drown 'em in
    it.

JULES
    Uuccch!

:hyper:

[​IMG]

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    chille-cheese fries
    cheese fries (philly style)
    gravy and cheese is ok
    also what is great is curry frys (in frisco there is irish bar that makes curry chicken with fryz... fryz and all over it is chicken with curry... soooooooo goood)

now for the best :D
    In and out has great frys, animal style

Cheese, grilled onions and their special souce (i think 1000 islands) very very very good

and plain frys (currly frys too)

Those are my type :D did i just list every type except for just mayo :D

Cheers

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

:bassist:

Right on! My girl (who is born and raised in New Jersey and never seen Canada) eats "Disco Fries" which here in NJ is French Fries with melted american cheese and brown gravy (and she usually puts a big ole' pile of ketchup next to them too).

I like Ketchup and Horseradish sauce (or cocktail sauce) myself.

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The first thing I thought when I read this title was "Dont the dutch use mayonaise?" :D

Most americans use a tomato based sauce* but I know a lot like to use mayonaise, especially when mixed with toato based sauces.*

Something you might want to know thought is that your mayonaise is different than American Mayonaise. Ours is lighter is color and has less added to it. Yours seems a little bit more flavorful like you added some extra things to it while ours is just oil and eggs.

*Ketchup? Catsup?, Ketchup....? Catsup?
    [​IMG]