Friggin' Pathetic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I went to Mars to check out 8 track recorders and sauntered over into their bass "section". This guy was trying out Cort Curbows, when he asked if I was a good bass player. I said that I was alright, so he asked if I'd try it out for him. I know that there are those who like these things, but let's be honest, THESE THINGS ARE PIECES OF FECES! It had a static type thing happening, so I grabbed another one, and it too had it. I plugged into another amp with another chord. Hello Mr. Static! So I tried a Cort fretless, and the tone was clean, so it was the basses. The knobs on all of the CC's were loose, and the electronics shook and rattled around inside the cavity. Guys, let's get real, these things are truly unacceptable! You can shake a Conklin GT, and it's electronics don't rattle! Modulus and Mike Lull have what they call "shop dogs", and even though the basses are in excellent condition, they won't release them to the public, because the 'burst pattern might be slightly off, or something just as minor. In other words: THEY GIVE A DAMN!!! Even though Greg's a friend, I can't help but wonder, how in the f#%k did he allow his name to be put on these basses?! Kingston, Heirs, Skylines, and even some MIM Fenders are "econo" jobs, but at least they good basses. Affordable shouldn't mean garbage basses. This borders on a rip off. In the end, I talked the guy into buying a MIM Fender Dlx 5.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be getting off of my soapbox now.
  2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I tried out a few Cort Curbows this past summer at Mars in Bloomington, MN, and I didn't notice this problem at all, with the fretted or the fretless models that I tried.

Maybe Cort's quality control is seriously lacking?? Just like how some MIM Fenders are much noticably better than others.

Something to look out for, though, if considering buying one of these.
  3. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    You must have had some bad bass. My Cort Curbow works perfectly fine, nothing like what you mentioned.
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've never tried one of them but maybe it's the salesmans job to keep on top of these things. These basses aren't Fenders that FLY off the shelf because the name. That bass has probably been in the store for months hundreds of people played & abused it & loosened everything & a salesman probably dosen't remember it's there.

I worked @ a Sam Ash for a while & all the Managers really care about in the end is the Gross Profit at the end of the day & if the salesman is busy fixing a bass that isn't a big seller, he (the salesman) isn't selling a bass making a Profit for the store.

Ask to play a new one out of the box & if the same problems are there, then the QC has to go up!!!! If it plays nice, blame the Salespeople.
  5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Wait--you mean you pulled a bass off the wall at Mars, and it was set up poorly, and had electronics problems? :rolleyes:

I played a Genesis at Mars once that had a knob missing, and the tone knobs didn't work. Believe it, or not, I'm guessing it didn't arrive at Mars that way. I will go out on a limb to say the Cort Curbow probably didn't show up with the electronics screwed up, either...
  6. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I was playing the Corts the other day at the Mars in KC, MO... I wasn't impressed. First off, I am a big guy, and I would rather have a bass that didn't look like I was playing a ukelele! That's how it felt. The smallish body just didn't feel well to play while sitting, and when I asked the "helpful" :rolleyes: salesmen at mars for a strap, they looked at me like I was crazy! He made the suggestion that I might want to look at a bass with a bigger body, so I said great, how about the Modulus on the top row? He then told me he would have to talk to the manager about getting a bass down off the top row... I told him not to bother, I wasn't in the market for something like that, so he wondered off out of site... Then I stepped up on a nearby amp and grabbed it myself, went the Ampeg stack and tried to see if I could get that Fieldy tone.... whack-it-a whack-it-a whack-it-a whack! :D I think they came close to asking me to leave...:eek: What glorious customer service!:rolleyes:

7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I've never liked how the Mars music store is run here. I really think all they care about is making lots of money.. think. i mean. i know. But I have played some Cort Curbows and I thought they were decent basses. No problems like what you metioned. of course they had some ric basses there and every picguard was cracked and had at least one knob removed.. :confused:
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Ive played a few Cort Curbows at mars, I dont like um much, i dont like the way the neck feels, the tone of the bass, or the way the body looks/feels. Overall i think they are somewhat cheap in quality.
  9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I bought a Cort Curbow 5 fretless a couple weeks ago an it didn't have any of the problems Woodchuck mentioned. I agree the small body can be uncomfortable and the small neck can feel wierd if you're used to a Warwick or MM. But I'm perfectly satisfied with my Cort. Except for maybe the B is a little floppy, but what do you expect from a $400 bass?
  10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Well.. i went to Mars music Yesterday.. and Although I'm not the biggest fan of Mars, i wanted to check out some cabs and power amps etc. Well I just happened to pick up A cort Curbow 5 string bass and played a bit on it. Aside from the two guys beside me cranking up the amps and playing some crap and making up some crap slap groove. now these guys really pissed me off, these are the stereotypes, the ones that walk in thinking b/c they can salp an octave the entire world needs to hear it.. well thats another story.. but they bothered me. anyway. I enjoyed the overall tone and playability of the bass. Surely not my favorite bass.. But not a bad one either. would definately need a strap.. but a decent bass for the price.
  11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Hey pmkelly,

Next time you are there, just go grab the Modulus off the top shelf yourself. That is what I did last time I was there and nobody would help me out. (I was at the one in Bloomington, MN)

It is amazing how fast a salesman gives you some attention when you are holding a $2499 bass by one hand while standing on your tiptoes.:D
  12. I played on a 5 and 6 stringer at the Mars here. The big thing I noticed (and I do mean BIG!) was the gap between the neck and the lower horn on the body. You could hide an extra set of strings in there!
  13. I've got two of them, a 6-string fretted and a 5-string fretless. I like the way both of them play and I get a good sound with the 6. I got the fretless before they started putting Barts in them and I've never been happy with the sound from the Mighty Mite that's in it.
  14. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I will tel you this much! I work at and when we get a new g&l or spector in the shop we take it to the back and jam for awhile then we put it up high on the wall so that everyone CANT play it! I know it sound rude but i will tell you why! We got a american bolt on spector in about 3 months ago to put in the shop and we just put it to were everyone could jam on it so we could sell them! You would not think there was so many dumb people out there that just dont think! By the time that thing was up for a month there were so many belt marks that we had to sell it used! What i love is guys that grab the most expensive bass and then grab a chord well for some reason they cant find the jack into the bass so they just rub the end of the chord around for awhile till they find it! God i could kill them for that! The they set down to jam and smash the head on the nearest amp! We can tell someone that is really interested in a bass!