Fripp's strange behavior (?) during concerts

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kernel666, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Hi all!
    Well, I'm just pretty amazed at Robert Fripp's (King Crimson Guitarist) problem with people taking pictures while concerts. Examples: In the heavy construKction live album, he literally stops "Lights Out" twice, right in the middle of them playing! He then asks for the guy who took a picture to pass his camera up front. Again in the "Live in Rome" (June 23, 2000) concert video, right before they play "Cage", Robert goes to Adrian's mic and says "The photographs.. please.. please do not". Then Adrian quickly tries to patch things up by making light of the situation. I really admire Robert, but thats the one thing I don't like about him (or that i cant understand). Anyone know why he is so obsessed with that?
    Here is a review I read in commenting about this:
    Also, he always seems to be playing pretty isolated, away from the band, and I know he needs to be with all his FX racks, but why is he always so separated?

Well, that's just a question I've always asked myself. Anyways, post your thoughts.
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Some guys are just creepy, it seems the greatest artists are always the strangest. In regards to him being seperated... he takes a classical approach. If you see a jazz guitarist or classical guitarist... they aren't doing kickflips off their amp... they sit on a stool, perform, accept applause, then play again. King Crimson is Fripps child and he demands perfection from it. He want the audience to act as if they are seeing a philharmonic performing Mozart... no hootin' and hollerin' during songs, no requests, no photography. Silence/respect for the musicians.

I think this is the main thing that seperates Fripp from being seen as a guitar god. He doesn't showboat, he just sits there. Meanwhile Van Halen and Jimmy Page are guitar gods. I think leaving the song stops on the album are just making an example of this guy.

But I agree, Fripp is a hero of mine, but I wouldn't want to meet him.
  3. Great response. Seeing it from that point of view, it makes sense.
  4. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    He's slightly eccentric perhaps...

Ok, a bit of an understatement. He does seem to have gotten a little better over the last few years, I heard he used to leave the stage (effectively ending the concert) back in the olden days. On the Eyes Wide Open DVD, he doesn't say anything when the flashbulb goes off, just reacts, pauses for a moment and then goes into some ugly chords through fx.

Fortunately when I saw him open for Porcupine Tree, the audience was composed of a polite (quite old) audience, no cameras, no catcalls, polite enthusiastic applause. But, he draws the line between performer and audience, and never the twain should meet in his opinion.

Then again, ole' Billy B. has his own strong ideas about the music industry as well, I remember hearing that he has a very negative attitude about autographs (as my friend experienced first hand at NAMM - but I digress...)
  5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    If his fans quit buying his records to respect his insistence on drawing the line between musician and audience then maybe the prick will get off his high horse.
  6. WOW, wth, King Crimson opening for Porcupine Tree???? Thats just plain crazy!
  7. I wouldn't go as far as calling him a prick, but you have a point there...
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Nope, Fripp did a few gigs with Porcupine Tree solo. Soundscape/ambient performances... no KC tunes.
  9. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I saw them at a Halloween concert in Ft Worth about, i don't know...five years ago.

I noticed this guy in the lobby before the show, carrying a thick, square, mailing envelope. It was addressed to Fripp in big letters. I asked what it was. He replied "It's my CD. I really want Robert Fripp to hear it."

I found this pretty unlikely and told him so. He must have decided I was right, because, about two thirds of the way through the show, I saw a small, spinning, brown blur hurtle out of the darkness...and bean Mr Fripp...right on top of gis head. The concert stopped for a few minutes.

10. Thats another thing with Fripp , no greatest hits shows, not that it bothers me, but its one of his things, they won't play the well known songs .
  11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I find it awesome that he has the stones to do this. Whereas bands like the Stones do not.

If you haven't made a record in the last fifteen years that has pushed the envelope, the hits are what you have to fall back on.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the no-smoking thing.

12. I wonder if he gets up and puts their cigarettes out himself?
  13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I just saw Fripp on his solo tour a few months ago. He had a section between his two sets where he sat in a chair and took questions from the audience :cool:

I was surprised to find him not only quite normal but very funny in that dry British manner.

He did apologize for needing to take break after the Q&A before playing again, I suspect he needs to be in a state of mental relaxation to play and things like flashbulbs going off are unwanted distractions.

He has written pretty extensively on this subject as far back as 25 years ago when he was a regular contributor to both Musician (RIP) and Guitar Player magazines.
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, I don't think he's a total jerk. I saw a pic of him with Adam Jones, and Fripp was making kind of a goofy face and Adam Jones was laughing a bit. He's just very professional.

A lot of the things he does that bother people, other people really like. He's just very professional, even in the traditional sense.