Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frode Berg solo album released

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by frodebass, Apr 11, 2004.

1. frodebass

frodebass

Apr 11, 2004
    Norway
    Hi all!

Just a rather shameless self promo stunt.
    My debut solo album "Dig it!" has now been released on Nagel Heyer records.
    It features me in a quartet setting, electric 6-string bass and upright bass.
    Pick it up at: amazon.com
    Let me know what you think, or tell me to sod off if this is an inapropriate post... :cool:

2. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    ya should probably only post this in one forum, and delete the others.

good luck w/ the album.

3. frodebass

frodebass

Apr 11, 2004
    Norway
    OK, thanks.
    Leaving it on the bass guitar recording as well as upright bass recordings forums.

Frode

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    hey frode, ive listened to samples on your website a while back and youre a smokin' player. you should stick around and contribute so it doesnt just seem like your spamming the boards :bassist:

5. frodebass

frodebass

Apr 11, 2004
    Norway
    Sure.
    I only just joined, and plan to stay if I may.
    Only posted once so far apart from this about my CD, but I'm checking in a couple of times a day, and looking forward to hang around here!

See ya!

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've bought his CD and recommend it. He's rreally playing some top shelf jazz. Really pro level stuff. Its joined my regular listening material list, along with Bootsy, Weather Report and Rimsky-Korsakov.:)

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I recieved mine today Frode.......I'm listening to it for the second time now. Great stuff!!!!! I really enjoy Petter Wettre's playing too.....along with the rest of the band :bassist: Congrats on a very musical solo album :cool:

8. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    Hy Frode :)

Though I only know "Una Bella Dona" (from the SWR site :D) I can immediately say that you're great. Your balanced-groove-concern-when-soloing with tastefull phrasing certainly gets it going.

I bet the album won't change my mind... Looking forward to hear it (and hope it has some fretless playing inside :D)

Congrats ;)

9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    got the cd in. first off ill recommend special ordering it from your local record store rather than amazon since it was 20 plus shipping online. and yes its quite a good cd. worth checking out. :bassist:

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    guess i'll have to buy it///

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.

Just FYI, Frode also contributed an interview early on for talkbass, it's in FEATURES if you want to check it out.
    He ain't a complete stranger...

12. frodebass

frodebass

Apr 11, 2004
    Norway
    Thanks for all the nice comments!

I would recommend J&R (www.jandr.com) They have it for $13.99 and they ship in 1-2 days according to their website.

Again, thanks!
    By the way, I'm trying to put together a tour in early 2005 with my pianoplayer, Roy Powell to play either as a duo or with drummers locally. So far, two gigs in Charlotte (three nights). Anyone suggest an agency that might be into booking this kind of thing in the US? We both do clinics/masterclasses as well.
    First and foremost the east coast, but we're no strangers to long driving in a van either....

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    There's a place in Hilton Head SC called either The Jazz Corner or the Jazz Cafe, Adagio in Savannah GA, Churchill Grounds or Sambuca in Atlanta GA.
    I'm told there are a couple of joints in Asheville NC (which could be on the way to Atlanta if the tour is going that way), maybe check with Bryan White (I can't remember what he posts under, but his name is in his signature, so do a SEARCH)

Let's see, in Augusta GA there's a place that pays that has a house band (DTimm's) but might be looking for out of town acts to come through and a place that you work for the door (The Soul Bar) but generally brings in $200-400 at the door on a Friday or Saturday night (hey, it ain't much but it pays more than an open night on the tour).

There's a couple of jazz joints in Rehoboth Beach (I can never remember if that's Maryland or Delaware), DC has a couple of nice clubs (Blues Alley, One Step Down) maybe talk to Tom Baldwin (posts under the name T-BAL), he's in the Baltimore area.

There's joints in NYC that are kind of easy to get a gig in but don't pay, some that pay but are hard to get into, and some that you are basically renting the space and they make money selling drinks and you get the door. The BLUE NOTE has a Monday night "New Artists" series that you might be able to get in on, I dunno. But KAVEHAZ, 55 BAR, DETOUR, etc. it's a gig in NYC but yer not gonna get rich.

As far as booking agencies, sorry no personal experience.
    But www.allaboutjazz.com has a section where there are some agencies advertisements.

Best of luck!

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Ed, is that Tom Baldwin the sax player ? I know that sounds silly but i know a tenor player in Balmer with that very name

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Naw, Tom Baldwin the bassist, rat cheer at this very site, name of TBal.