Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frog and Hair Length

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by LaurenBell, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Absolutely, you should get it checked out.

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. It may a little bit, but not enough to be significant.

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. You're overreacting. It's fine.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LaurenBell

LaurenBell

Aug 10, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have been looking at buying a Reid Hudson bow. I'm really loving the sound it pulls out of the bass, how it sits in the string better, and how well it bounces. Now saying that, I took the bow apart to try to put some rubber tubing on it. When I went to put it back together, I noticed that (sorry going to use not so technical terms here) the bronze colored piece that is attached to the frog is right up against the end of the rectangular slot you put it in to put it back together. I actually have to hold the frog down to screw it back together because it fits so tightly because of how short the hair is. Will this damage the stick at all? Was the person selling this bow trying to cover up bad balance or bad bounce by making the hair so short, which is forcing the whole frog higher up on the stick? Or do you think it's okay, and I am just overreacting?

2. LaurenBell

LaurenBell

Aug 10, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    If you guys could please give me your opinions ASAP, I would be very grateful because I need to know whether to pay for the bow or not.

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It's possible that the hair is a little too short for the bow. The drier weather does affect horsehair (it shrinks) but it doesn't shrink that much. If you like the bow and it works for you, then buy it. You can always get it rehaired later. g/l.

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I like my Bows rehaired on the Short side so the Frog just fits in. In thim, the hair pulls slightly from the FRog and makes the playing lenght slightly longer. Please, tell me the playing length of your Bow with the Hair Tightened. I am curious to see if it's actually on the short side or not. I have Bow measurements on my website that might be helpful to you, or not! Have a look if you're interested; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/DoubleBasses/Bows/bows.htm

5. LaurenBell

LaurenBell

Aug 10, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    So you guys think it's ok? The playing length is 21 3/8". It wasn't the length that really concerned me so much as the fact that the hair was rehaired so short so that it just barely fit in the frog because I wasn't sure if it could hurt the bow and if I were to get it rehaired a little bit longer that it might not bounce as well or something because I thought the balance might be a little different. This is my first purchase of shall we say a bow that actually bounces, and I'm a little nervous because it's a lot of money for me because I'm just a high school student (and paying for it with money I've up myself. No parent help :( ) Thanks for your help.

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I was just curious to see if was extra short. When they re-hair the bow and leave too much room, it could be out of balance by the time everything stretches into place. It sounds good to me as it is. Give it some time. I am sure if it feels out of balance in a month or so, they can re-tie the hair at either end to to fix the problem.