1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Frog Height

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by MalachyR, Mar 30, 2009.

1. MalachyR

MalachyR

Jan 22, 2008
    Ireland
    Hi there. I have a lovely French bass bow with a higher-than-average frog. The sound is great and there is no doubt about the quality of the stick. But the high frog makes me feel like I am on stilts, removed from contact with the ground, and when playing off-the-string, this is most apparent and unhelpful. There is presumably an ideal ergonomic size for a frog, defined by the dimensions of the hand. But I am led to believe that higher frog means better resonance because the stick is not compressed by the pull of the hair. This bow has some very special qualities but I just can't get the right hold on it.
    Any thoughts, anyone?

2. Hi Mal
    Just wondering if you place your thumb on the stick or in the Frog?

3. MalachyR

MalachyR

Jan 22, 2008
    Ireland
    on the stick, at the junction with the frog. It is a very delicate balance, the geometry between fingers and thumb, and between index finger and stick. The frog-thumb hold (Neapolitan, I think) doesn't work for me because although good for power, it seems to reduce capacity for nuance by changing where index finger meets stick.

4. I agree with all that you said but the italian grip might be a little more stable with such a high frog or maybe you just have to get used to it.