Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Froggy gotta shave

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Dave Irwin, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Just had the edges shaved down on my frog. Havent had much time to practice with it yet but it feels almost like there's no frog there at all. (in a good way) It also seems to make a small improvement in resonance.
    My teacher noted before he did it, the corners of the frog really dug into his hand.
    Anyone else ever try this?

2. littlekatie

littlekatie

Jul 14, 2004
    London, UK
    surely that affects the weight of the bow though? are you a solo or orchestral player, mainly?for orchestral i find that i need all the bow weight i can get, although i may get one of my spare bows shaved just to see what its like! how much did it cost?

3. I'm not so sure weight is as much a factor as resonance of the bow. I've played plenty of pernambuco bows heavier than my brazilwood that is not as loud and not as resonant.
    As for the price, it was covered in my lesson (advantage of having a luthier for a teacher) but it only took him 20-30 min so it couldn't be that much.

By the way, I've played mostly solo (not counting jazz) because I'm a classical newbie. My teacher though has been working on getting the most sound possible out of me and my bass, which I assume is where you were going with the question solo vs. orchestral.
    My teacher has remarked repeatedly about how I'm getting alot of good sound out so the shave hasn't heard a thing.

Dave