Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

From 2x12" to 10"+15" Combination?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Aug 15, 2005.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    OK. So I've been playing an SVT3-Pro through an Avatar B212 for around... 4 months now. While I love the tone, I'm looking for more punch. I'm playing 6 string fretted and 4 string fretless basses at the moment, so I gotta have low B support.

I've never actually played through a combo of 10's and 15's, only through a 4x10" Ampeg (which had sweet punch, but lacked B string balls) and some random 15's, which generally lacked definition, which I need.

My tone is very midrange'centric. I have the mids cranked on the head, with a generous bump in the low-low mids on the graphic. I like a big low-end, but I want definition. I find my B is a bit muddy on the 2x12", and I've tried EQ'ing it out.

And yes, I've thought of just adding a 2x10" for the punch, but I'm already running a 4 ohm cab. I thought it'd be all I needed, what can I say. I kinda wanted to stick with one cab, for size and portability issues (senior in High School, going onto college eventually), but I don't know if I can do that now.

If I went 10's + 15, it'd be all Avatar. I like the tone, so don't bash. Also, this hints at my budget. I'm not looking for uber-boutique Bergantino and such. What other cabs would you suggest I look at that would combine various speakers sizes and give me the definition and bottom I'm looking for?

2. Sounds like you're on the right track to me.

3. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    For an excellent low B & defined mids in 1 cab go w/ Carvin BRX12.

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    This might fit in your budget, but maybe a GK neo 212+115?

Either that or check out Dr.Bass Cabs.

A little bit more than avatar cab, but I think thy are a little bit better quality. Heres a link to Marc Serio's site (owner of drbasscabs) Dr.Bass

I really suggest you look into dr bass cabs, really high grade material and componets. Unlike the avatar they have tolex that is spryaed with this bed liner type stuff, so it's super durable.

The cabs overall weigh less than the avatar's as well.
    The BL series also is the more $$, the RX series are around 300-400$ for a cab depending on what model you choose.

The difference between the BL series and RX series is that the BL is made of birch plywood and the RX series is made from MDF, don't let that scare you though, I've read loads of reviews for the BL and RX series and both of them are top of the line products.

Hope you find what you're looking for dude!!!

-Rob

5. schrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooderrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    two thoughts...
    1. While you like the Avatar sound, it is a pretty 'middle of the road' kind of cab. Not bad, nothing exceptional. Try to get your hands on a set of Bag End's. Their 2x10 cab's have to be heard to be believed...

2. Keep your 2x12 and add a 2x10 on top for the additional punch and clarity. In that case staying with Avatar might not be a bad idea as the cab's will have a 'famllial' tonality.

OK - a third. Call Dave at Avatar. Tell him your thoughts and ask his advice. He's a good guy and his advice should be worthwhile.

7. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Sadly, I can't keep the 2x12", cuz I'm already running my 4 ohm load. The SVT3-Pro won't go down to 2, I don't think. I'll check the site, cuz if that's the case, I'll put in my order for a 2x10".

I'll look into other brands. Only problem is, there is no way for my to try them being way up here in the UP of Michigan. The Avatar just seemed to give me better clarity than the Ampeg cabs, and I knew that the 15's I were trying wouldn't hold up on their own.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll get looking. It's all up in the air now, cuz I'm happy with the tone, I just know it could be better with a different cab setup.

8. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I've contacted Dr. Bass about a custom 2x10+1x15 cab, so I hope to hear from him soon.