1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

From 4x10 to (2) 1x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Good evening, Amps forum. It's been kind of a long while since I've posted here. Anyway:

I currently have an Aguilar DB410 and a DB210. The 410 is used for gigs, the 210 for practices, or any time stairs are involved. A 100lb. 4x10 is a bit of an awkward thing to transport, even with bigger casters on it.

I foresee a living situation change coming, where I'll be encountering a lot of stairs on a daily basis. As such, I'm considering the idea of (2) 1x12 cabs to replace the 410, I'm thinking either Mesa Powerhouse 1x12 or Aguilar DB112NT (though these are a bit expensive). Am I off the mark here? I've used 2x12s before that have held their own against 4x10s, and I'm hoping it carries over to a (2) 1x12 setup.

I LOVE the sound of the DB410. The DB210 is considerably weaker, part of which I think is because the cabinet is shallower than the 4x10, so I don't really want to get (2) 2x10s.

Bottom line: Would a pair of Mesa or Aguilar 1x12 cabs, when paired with my Mesa Walkabout head, get me within like, 85% of the DB410 in terms of low end and volume? It has such a unique voice that I don't know I'll be able to substitute on that front. Thanks!

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I can't speak to all the characteristics of the specific makes & models you've mentioned. But in general terms, I think you'll find that a pair of some of the new, higher-end 1x12 cabs will compare very favorably indeed with most of the 4x10 cabs on the market today in terms of performance, while presenting significant advantages in terms of size, weight & portability.

The Mesa Powerhouse 1x12 is very well-regarded in terms of performance, but it's heavy. If you'll be schlepping your new cabs up & down stairs on a regular basis, that's something to consider. :meh:

The Aguilar DB112 series is also very well-regarded, but the NT version truncates the high midrange & high frequencies, as it has no tweeter. If you prefer a more full-range and/or modern tone, that's something to consider as well.

Fortunately, you've got lots of great options in the 1x12 format: Acme, AudioKinesis, Baer, Barefaced, Bergantino, Epifani, etc., etc.

MM

3. I use too much P-bass and too much fuzz to ever leave my tweeters turned on... I figured the DB112NT might as well save me a few dollars. I'm looking for like, Straight Up Rock And Roll in the tone department; that's why the DB410 has been so good to me.

I realize the Mesa 1x12s are heavy, but it's much easier to one-hand a smallish 45lb box than two-hand-and-leg a 100lb 4x10... the shape is just so awkward.

Of course, the other option here is an 8x10 or a 4x12, which while heavier, is an easier shape to move. (but complete overkill... right??)

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Are your stairs carpeted?

5. HitByABlimp

HitByABlimp Commercial User

Apr 10, 2007
    Netherlands
    deBont Amps
    I've made the transistion from 1x15 + 2x10 to 4x10 and finally to 2x 1x12 a couple of years ago and I couldn't be happier. The top 1x12 tends to be much higher up then a typical 4x10, so you'll hear yourself better, while the bottom gives all the low end you could wish for IMO. The Aguilars are awesome. Never heard the others you've mentioned. I've settled for Vanderkley (Dutch hand build). Although still heavy, they are indeed MUCH easier to carry around.

6. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    +1
    I went from years of swr 410 love to the 2 112 epifani setup that i use today.
    i love it..never once looked back and said i needed the 410.
    Fwiw..we always run everythn thru the pa..but im never short of headroom on stage.
    (i play rock/ dance rock..5 string and love the low end.)
    well okay..sometimes i miss the wheels on the 410. ;)
    but 112s are easy to move alone.

ymmv..an all

7. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    I made the same change. Now my prized Epifani T410-NYC sits quietly, semi-retired in the closet while I use my Epi UL2-112 and Epi T112-NYC on a regular basis now. I've considered selling the 410, but it's one of the last NYC models Nick built and is such a joy to play from time to time. Maybe some day...

8. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Especially these, highlighted above. Also GreenBoy (fEARless, fEARful).

Find used if you can (check TB classifieds), but if not, build (or have built) two 112s or a 212 using:

Eminence Kappa Lite 3012HOs or 3012LFs (but you'd need a mid driver or tweeter)

Eminence Delta Lite II 2512s

Faital Pro 12PR300s or 12PR310s

Faital Pro 12FH500s or 12FH510s

Personally, I'd do a 212 with the 3012HOs as my 1st choice & the 12PR310s my 2nd. This 212 w/3012HOs would be about 30" tall x 16" wide x 15" deep & weigh around 50 lbs., a pretty easy schlep. It would destroy any mass-marketed commercial box on the market. The 12PR310 212 would save you about $100 & also be superior to any mass-marketed 212.

If you don't want to build it/them yourself, LDS is a top notch choice to build for you. Bet you'd be pleasantly surprised by the bread needed to purchase.

www.LowDownSound.com

Another option to consider would be a 115 w/an Eminence Kappa Lite 3015LF & an 18Sound 6ND410 (dedicated 6.5" midrange). Monster 1-cab solution.

Do yourself a favor & check out these outfits & speakers before you make a decision.