1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

From a Benavente to a ????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kephah, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Kephah

Kephah

Oct 1, 2006
    M-I-Z-Z-O-U !
    I was injured in an on the job accident in November of last year-(I was accidently shot in the head with a 3 1/2 inch nail...I know it's freaky but you shoulda been the one to have seen the x-rays!)And there wasn't any worker's comp so I was left with $52,000worth of hospital bills and I was off work for like 3 months, so everyone knows the story.....sell your super nice custom bass and pay some bills.....lol

So about 2 weeks ago I finally broke down and sold the Bene and now I'm looking for a decent priced bass in the $500 range. I've been leaning towards the Ibanez BTB's since I owned one before or does anyone know where you can get a really good deal on a Lakland DJ5?? I'm open to other suggestions to.

Thanks In Advance,
    Clint

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Man, I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish you were more local* and I would give you a bass.

Try Peavey. All the best for a full and speedy recovery. I've been there myself with a serious injury.

* I'm in Australia.

3. Ouch! That aint cool!

The BTBs are definatly worth a look at, ive got a 406QM and its a really nice instrument.

A little bit more cash and youd be able to buy a used MM Stingray?

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Hope you got a lawsuit pending, homie!!!

5. Peavey's a great idea!

I love Peavey basses....seriously...they're great product...

the yamaha BB is a good idea, too...

Ibanez BTB, I LOVE the prestige series (outside the $500 range, though)...

I think the Ibby RD500 series is pretty alright, too...

man...shot in the head with a 3 1/2 nail .... that's just wild! ...

it's great to hear that Kephah is on the mend....

you too, Dharma (I mean A9X)...

6. Samjay

Samjay

Jan 28, 2007
    Yamaha TRB5 are nice. You can get a used one around $500. Very nice for the money.

7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    How about going 2nd hand?

8. Kephah

Kephah

Oct 1, 2006
    M-I-Z-Z-O-U !
    Since there wasn't any worker's comp-no dice on getting any $$ for the injury :meh: And since the guy I was working for is a very small time carpenter he really doesn't have anything worth suing for.....just a working man just like me......lol I did contract with a lawyer about getting the Second Injury Fund to pay the medical so that is a PLUS

But on the plus side I'm still alive and somewhat healthy and because of the type of injury I'm getting my college paid for so I can work in a somewhat "safer" enviroment :)

Now back to bass-the Peavey's don't do it for me and the TRB's are nice but it seems like I always gravitate back to the Ibby BTB it just reminds me of an old Tobias Growler 5 I used to own-man I miss that bass.

Thanks for all the support guys this is why I love talkbass!

9. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I just bought my 11 yr old son a Peavy Zodiac, very nice for what we paid. Might be worth a look. Yamaha has also reissued the BB series and they looked/fealt pretty nice too.

10. Kephah

Kephah

Oct 1, 2006
    M-I-Z-Z-O-U !
    Any personal experience from anyone who bought a SX J bass and modded it? I'm thinking 5'er with a new bridge, pickups and an Audere drop in. I think I could get that for around the $500 mark? But if it didn't work for me I really LOSE as it seems all the modded SX's selling used do go FAST but cheap......lol

And yes I tried to search but the server was too busy.

11. why don't you go for the BTB?

I think BTB's are great basses....and I think it will satisfy you much more than any SX J....

12. Try the new Squier vintage modified 70s jazz. I know that squier sounds boring, but if my Skyline 44-02 was stolen, this would be the bass I would buy. I tried it a couple of weeks ago, I saw that it was a Squier but it felt like a expensive bass. It´s the best "cheap" bass I´ve tried. That is if you wan´t to go in the jazz bass direction.

13. Kephah

Kephah

Oct 1, 2006
    M-I-Z-Z-O-U !
    Yeah I'm gonna try to find a nice used BTB 5er with the Barts in it.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

MTD Kingston? That's my first thought, anyway.

15. beautiful basses, play nice too...but IMO sound a bit "thin"

16. Kephah

Kephah

Oct 1, 2006
    M-I-Z-Z-O-U !
    Old thread
    But I just bought a used Cort-Elrick RB5!!

I'll let everyone know how it stands up against the Benavente once I get it.

It was very nice looking and right in my range. $580 shipped.

Plus it still has a boutique look to it for those that know what an Elrick is........lol

Thanks for all the replies and advice I appreciate it-and a BIG Thanks goes out to TB'er Fezzey !!

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021