1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

From a fretless four to a fretted five... what to do...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Aug 20, 2001.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    So, I started playing on a fretted 4 string Epiphone, but then sold it and for the past four years my main bass has been a fretless Jazz with roundwounds. I grew very used to it, and had and, after some testing, settled into my favorite set of flats and didn't have to worry about anything.

THEN about three weeks ago I picked up a fretted 5 string, (a DeArmond Pilot Pro V) and now I'm in the market for some roundwounds, which I really know nothing about, especially 5 string sets. The strings that it came with are alright.. The B isn't as balanced with the other strings as I would like. I'm looking for a pretty bright sound, I'm liking this whole "high frequency" thing that I've been missing with the flats. It's a 35" scale for what it's worth, I guess that means I need extra long scale maybe. (?) I remember back when I played my original bass I liked D'Addario Prisms, but I don't know how good they are for a 5. So how bout it? What are your 5 string preferences? Thanks in advance!

2. for general high end/midrange punch you can't beat ernie balls power slinkys...if you like lighter gauged strings though get the hybrids or the super slinkys. The 5 stringers that I've played with ernie balls always have a really nice B string that has the growl and punch that you were probably missin out on with the flats.
    christopher

3. Soapbox I have to disagree with you, while the Ernie Balls do have a certain sound to them that is very good, I find that they go dead very quickly. I had two sets in a row that went dead within two weeks. I personally prefer GHS Boomers. They have a very bright tone, but the B still has a lot of growl to it, and they seem to have stayed bright for at least two months since I got'em. Have fun with your fiver Superduck.

4. PLehmer has a point, ernie balls do not stay bright for very long....but that depends on how often and how hard you play. Mine last me about a month and a half before they go dead. but they are always cheaper than any other strings at the music store near my house. so i dunno, Boomers are good as well, but ive had sets of boomers go bad in a month as well.