Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

From a fretless four to a fretted five... what to do...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Aug 20, 2001.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    So, I started playing on a fretted 4 string Epiphone, but then sold it and for the past four years my main bass has been a fretless Jazz with roundwounds. I grew very used to it, and had and, after some testing, settled into my favorite set of flats and didn't have to worry about anything.

THEN about three weeks ago I picked up a fretted 5 string, (a DeArmond Pilot Pro V) and now I'm in the market for some roundwounds, which I really know nothing about, especially 5 string sets. The strings that it came with are alright.. The B isn't as balanced with the other strings as I would like. I'm looking for a pretty bright sound, I'm liking this whole "high frequency" thing that I've been missing with the flats. It's a 35" scale for what it's worth, I guess that means I need extra long scale maybe. (?) I remember back when I played my original bass I liked D'Addario Prisms, but I don't know how good they are for a 5. So how bout it? What are your 5 string preferences? Thanks in advance!

2. for general high end/midrange punch you can't beat ernie balls power slinkys...if you like lighter gauged strings though get the hybrids or the super slinkys. The 5 stringers that I've played with ernie balls always have a really nice B string that has the growl and punch that you were probably missin out on with the flats.
    christopher

3. Soapbox I have to disagree with you, while the Ernie Balls do have a certain sound to them that is very good, I find that they go dead very quickly. I had two sets in a row that went dead within two weeks. I personally prefer GHS Boomers. They have a very bright tone, but the B still has a lot of growl to it, and they seem to have stayed bright for at least two months since I got'em. Have fun with your fiver Superduck.

4. PLehmer has a point, ernie balls do not stay bright for very long....but that depends on how often and how hard you play. Mine last me about a month and a half before they go dead. but they are always cheaper than any other strings at the music store near my house. so i dunno, Boomers are good as well, but ive had sets of boomers go bad in a month as well.