Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FROM A GUY WHO KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT AMPS, IS AMPEG A DECENT BRAND?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by de la mocha, Feb 7, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    How is the quality of their products, and what reputation do they have? The guitar center by me has mostly ampeg amp models and a few other brands I don't quite recall now. Can some one school me? I went to their official web site and looked around but I rather get feedback from real bass players on the front lines with their unbiased opinions and experience. Thanks in advance....peace!

2. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    ampeg to me is high end to moderate bassists, they have solid state, hybrid and all tube as most other high end brands has

depending the character, skill, your playing and band level is, then ampeg can tell if its for you

if you're a pro, there are many better (subjective) and more expensive amps than ampeg.. but again to common, ampeg is great

3. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I'd call Ampeg a High End brand. No, they're probably not as "High End" as some more expensive Boutique amp manufacturers. But Ampeg definately makes some great stuff.
    :bassist:

4. good amps, theyre kinda overrated in my opinion, but i can see why. every local gig i've been at 3 out of 4 times theyre using an ampeg. sounds great. theyre expensive though, which is what i dont like about em. most of em are really plain looking too, not that theres anything wrong with that, but i dont like that. but thats just my opinion. i think if you looked hard enough you could get a better amp in the same price range, but im not sure

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    They are good amps and cabinets. Unless you get them on clearance, I think valuewise relative to other products they are overpriced a bit ($100-200).

6. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    yes they are decent

lesson 2, caps lock isn't necessary.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Take the average of the previous four responses. I wouldn't call them "high end," but they're favored by many rockers.

8. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    I am by no means an expert, but I own Ampeg gear and love it. I also own SWR and Peavey, and have owned Fender. Ampeg beats them all. Granted, my Ampeg is the gig gear and pumps the most wattage but it also has the best tone.
    The only Ampeg product I am not convinced about is the PortaBass series.
    Look on eBay, there is usually much to choose from.

9. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    my opinion is that High End doesn't exist. Only dersireable tone, Reliability, technology, versatility and any combination of the above. That being said, Ampeg has been around a good while and they make good quality equipment for all experience levels but a few stand out above the rest.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh yeah, don't forget, Ampeg is made by Crate.

11. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Do you need a more expensive amp to make you sound good? ;) One of my main gigging amps is a $150 used solid state ampeg guitar amp. Since I always have PA support, I often choose it instead of my vintage SVT for convenience & I'd put the tone of this little amp up against many "expensive" amps anyday.

de la mocha, i think you sig applies to amps as well. I use Ampeg gear, I like some of their amps better than others and some I dont care for... they make A LOT of different types of amps so to each his own. Ampeg was recently aquired by Loud Technologies, who also own Mackie and many other companies. Reliability should not be an issue with Ampeg. The production locations have not changed and after seeing some of the new items at NAMM, it looks to me like they are stepping things up even more.

I suggest you play through some of them. If you like the features, tone & price, then I suggest you don't dwell on the brand name... unless it is Behringer :bag:

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I play mostly rock/metal. If you like Ampeg heads, they are reliable and decently priced. I don't like any of the 10" loaded cabs; you can do much better for the price with Bergantino and some others. Overall, they are a decent brand. I would not recommend any of their lower end stuff. The high end hybrid is OK, but if you go Ampeg you would want the all tube head probabally; I am really excited about the VR coming out.

13. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    [​IMG]
    Dang! Missed!

14. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Play them. If you like the tone, then every post on here regarding how they sound is moot. That leaves reliability. They seem to be fairly reliable. I've not seen massive reports of them failing. I will say that some of their solid state amps seem to be a little optimistically rated power wise. I think there are better cabs out there for the same or less. Once again though, if you like the way it sounds, ignore that comment.

I don't own any ampeg's but that's due to my personal tone preference.

15. ampegs are rock and roll standards they are mostly known for their dirty and gritty sound .. heads seem a bit expensive and underpowered for their price and wattage ratings.. If you have the money Id recommend the svt4 pro or the svt classic .. these are really powerfull amps with lots of headroom .

16. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    If you're going to make a reference, check your facts. Ampeg was bought by St. Louis Music (SLM), who ALSO owns Crate. Crate doesn't own Ampeg, it is a separate company (in fact, I think I remember another company buying SLM, but I might be wrong...)

In regards to their gear, it is upper-echelon...simply look at the players who use their gear. A LOT of the top players use Ampeg. I do think they're spendy (I play their gear), but any name brand has the price factored in their gear. Not knowing what your finances are, I always recommend to anyone starting out to get a DECENT starter amp - check out the forums here, go to music stores, and play a LOT of different brands. Go to live shows and listen to different players gear.

I bought my Ampeg gear after playing for years, and it is my first 'top of the line' rig. As with anythng, you get what you pay for, and my gear sounds spectacular. The more you trust and enjoy your gear, the better you play. Take your time, use your ears, and enjoy the process of learning the tools of the trade. Good luck in your quest for that 'perfect' tone!

17. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Loud Idustries bought out St. Louis Music who owned both Crate and Ampeg, they have left Ampeg alone so far and supposedly bought them because they are a Bass Icon and want to keep it that way. We'll see. Loud also owns Mackie.

Ampeg is a good brand, they are legendary. Amps are a matter of preferance though so You have to see if You like them. I have a real nice Eden rig, but I just can't let go of my Ampeg. I think they sound great.
    I should sell it to pay for all this stuff I got from Beaver at Bass Central.:)

BTW, the caps lock is annoying, you'll get out attention without it.

18. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    just 'cuz some guys get paid to use ampeg doesn't make them good... that being said, while not my cup of tea, i have nothing against ampeg stuff - they do have their own sound

19. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    My main rig is an Eden now, but I've always heard it was a myth Ampeg paid endorsers. I mean look at the list, that's a lot of top players, a lot of talent selling out. Must be a lot to get the likes of Chris Squire and Les Claypool and Victor Wooten and Donald Duck Dunn......

20. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    well, i remember back in the day when billy sheehan switched from pearce to ampeg and they had at the bottom of the ads "Billy Sheehan is NOT compensated for his endorsement of Ampeg" or something to that effect...