1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

From a newbie who is at heart just a curious cat...

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by ChineseBarbie, Nov 25, 2018.

1. ChineseBarbie

ChineseBarbie Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Texas
    Hi,

I am a mid-50 year old gal with significant hand arthritis who still wants to somehow stay engaged in performing music. My music background is that I played violin for nine years from elementary to high school and in college, sang with the touring section of the university choir. Since those days, my involvement with music has been through the church in the worship band setting as a vocalist, occasional violinist.

About 20 years ago, I was diagnosed with an autoimmune arthritis that has really taken its toll on my hands as far as dexterity and strength is concerned. My decision to pickup the electric bass is mostly for philosophical reasons based on being a parent. As a young adult, I've had my day being lead vocalist, featured musician. But I want younger ones to develop and I want to step aside for those. I don't have to prove myself anymore. I want to be around to make these young lovers of music gain experience and confidence. Yet still, I want to be involved somehow. And that's how I came to a decision to pick up the bass guitar.

Just before my hands started having problems, my daughter was born and this idea of playing bass was also born. So my husband bought me a starter bass electric guitar set. I am finally picking the bass guitar up. After an almost 20 year hiatus from worship band, I played for the 1st time with the band on the bass guitar. IT WAS A BLAST!!

I like the variety within the kingdom of electric bass guitar. I've just recently learned about short scale bass guitars and at 5 feet tall, I am very interested.

I am forever curious and looking forward to learning a lot here on TB.

flojob, G-Z, RobTheRiot and 2 others like this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

well: on TB = you'll learn a lot about TB...the good, the bad, and the ugly! :laugh:

but you'll also learn a lot about the instrument and the players and the playing, too. i'm sorry to read about your physical issues, but i can imagine how playing the electric bass instrument (EB) is musically fulfilling and quite the "blast!" it has been for me (i come from a woodwind background).

best of luck with your playing, your participation here, and your possible choices for those SS (short scale) instruments! :thumbsup:

3. I suggest you get one of the how to play books and use that as your lesson plan. Good luck teaching others. I found that most young "others" do not put in the time necessary, and I found this to be very disappointing.

I'm In "the home" now and once again I'm taking on a student. John is a 90 year old who wants to sing and play rhythm guitar. I can help, however, …...

I'll point him to the water, but, if he will not drink ...…. I'm cutting him loose with these words; "John, you've got the rest of your life to learn. Using the tools I've given you take it a little at a time and have fun".

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  4. Maddo

Maddo

Nov 24, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Welcome! I am also new here, but you don't need to be a veteran member to know that if you put your mind to it, anything is possible. You may have to alter your fretting and picking style, but that doesn't mean you can't make it work for you. At the end of the day you can only play the way you can play, and if its the only way you can do it then it won't be wrong. Case in point: "My Left Foot."

5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I saw a little Fender Mustang bass today for under $400. It looked pretty sweet. I hope that helps in some way.

6. ChineseBarbie

Nov 23, 2018
    Texas
    FunkHead,
    Thank you for the heads up. I actually ran across TWO short scale basses at the local Guitar Center: an Ibanez and a Fender (not sure if it was a Mustang), so I handled both of them. At this point in time, ergonomics are the priority. The biggest difference ergonomic-wise was that the neck of the Fender was notably thicker and had a bigger circumference than the Ibanez. So, at the moment, I am leaning toward those basses with thinner/slimmer necks.

7. Hydro

Hydro

Dec 3, 2018
    Hello! Welcome to the coolest instrument ever! I’m always hyped to see a fellow woman bassist, there aren’t enough of us!
    The Ibanez shortscales are definitely good basses, I’ve played them before and they’re super solid. Gretch (prob spelled wrong whoops) also makes a really nice shortscale bass, and I think you can find them at Guitar Center. They’re comfortable to play, and sound great too. :)

8. ChineseBarbie

Nov 23, 2018
    Texas
    Hydro,
    I wonder why there are not a lot of female bass players. Before my daughter moved off to college, I felt like I was the major source of rhythm and structure in the house.... and I still do feel like the major source of rhythm & structure in the house but now I have enough time & brain energy to learn how to play the electric bass guitar. :laugh:

Hydro likes this.
  9. Hydro

Hydro

Dec 3, 2018
    So true! I’m actually in a group now that has multiple bassists (all female bassists!) which is super cool (but also rare!) the female bassists who do exist are super awesome though! We have Tina Wheymouth, Carrol Kaye (idk if I spelled that right), Tal Wilkenfeild (?¿ I can’t spell), Esperanza Spaulding, Nik West... :) and more that i’m too lazy to list or probably forgetting

10. Welcome to TB, Tex.