1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

From Barts/EMGs, etc to Fender..End result?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FishDub, Nov 26, 2017.

1. FishDub

FishDub Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey everyone---Anyone here ever start with something like Barts or EMGs(or anything but Fender pickups) only to be replaced WITH Fender pickups, particularly J pickups? How did it go and did it give you the Fender J sound? I have a MTD Beast 4 with stock Barts and was curious about a possible switch to see how it would go.. Thanks for any feedback, suggestion or stories..:)

2. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Fender indeed makes awesome pickups. I have been playing a 2013 America Standard Jazz with CS60s and thought about a pickup change. I’ve used EMGs before but the Fender sound I’m getting now just rocks. So I guess I’ve become a Fender purist.

Nords are supposed to be great pickups too. I have no experience with them but the players I’ve heard using them sound awesome.

I think someone said once that tone is all in the fingers.

YMMV

FishDub likes this.
  3. FishDub

FishDub Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks! Yes the Fender sound is what I am after but want to keep the bass I have since it is very similar in tone--maybe a bit bright being and MTD with Barts;-) I want to tame it a bit but not loose the Fenderish sound

4. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I read a review of Fender Elite basses the other day. The reviewer said Fender noiseless p/u's are made for them by Nordstrom.
    Any truth to this?

FishDub likes this.
  5. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    This I have not heard.

However my experience with noiseless pickups has been... shall we say.... not the best of times.

Had them in another MIM Jazz and just never liked them.

And noiseless is a false claim as far as I’m concerned. Maybe the bass had a shielding issue or what ever but it hummed.

Strangely enough the CS 60s in my Jazz are dead silent. Even when soloing either pickup.

No hum. But boy do they put out.

FishDub likes this.