from bass to double bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Youngspanion, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Ive been poking around, trying to get prices on double bass'. I play electric bass now and im interested in learning the upright. Can some one tell me what the difference is between the 1/2, 3/4, and the 4/4 is.? Im curious as to if its only size and if i'm just starting out, does it matter? Thanks.
  2. You got it right, the fractions are indications of size. A half size bass is just that, half sized. 3/4 is the standard for most people and unless you are a big guy or are really serious in getting into orchestras and the like, a 4/4 aka Full Size bass is really not for you (or anyone for that matter.)

If you're just starting to learn (which I applaud you for), get a 3/4 bass, and don't spend too much money on it unless you are deadly serious, as otherwise you'll end up buying a 5000$ monster that you'll never need. A good start is to look at around 1000-1500$ (sorry if this sounds weird but I'm Canadian, and don't know prices in the States).

The things I can tell you are to try and get something with a good end-pin (the metal stand on the bottom), try for a good bridge so you don't have to buy a new one and an ebony tail-piece right off the bat. A good place to check out this stuff and more is

Just look around there to get a feel for what good parts are and to show you what a really good bass will run you.

Have lots of fun and don't hesistate to PM me if you want any more advice.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    There is more information in the newbies links at the top of this forum than you can imagine.

Since you are interested in beginning DB, I am certain you'll find it informational and entertaining as well.

Most adults play 3/4 basses, even in Orchestras. In fact a real 4/4 bass is very difficult to come by and even moreso to play. :) The 7/8 bass is fairly common and what some mistake for a 4/4.
  4. Yeah don't spend a fortune, look at around the $1000+ dollar mark new or maybe second hand, you should pick up something acceptable to learn on. Theirs a number of acceptable Chinese models to look at for, try checking over back threads on this subject their'll be a wealth of info for ya.