1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

From Bass to Double bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arlindzerdja, Jan 2, 2012.

1. arlindzerdja

arlindzerdja

Dec 4, 2011
    I want to know if it is hard to learn Double bass if i already know how to play bass?

2. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Yes, very.

3. Learning proper technique won't be easy, but you'll definitely be miles ahead of anyone who hasn't played at all.

4. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I did it when I was in my 20's. I was already reading music and had electric bass lessons. What I did first doing was to rent a bass and take some initial lessons to see if I liked it and had some potential at it. You can do it. I would read all the sticky's here at the forum and plan your course of action. No, I don't play the String bass anymore but it did help me in more ways than I can remember. If you can, try to find somebody who is already playing the Upright. This way you can network to help you get started. Best of luck .....................:cool:

5. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the winged monkeys show up Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Atlanta, GA

LOL!

It IS not easy, but I tried, and I think was successful; in first playing a fretless bass guitar, THEN working with the DB. The scale for the fretless BG is so much smaller than the DB, you get used to listening for the pitch, then when you go to the DB, you don't have to be quite so accurate with your left hand. But, it is like anything, you have to keep doing it to get better. It helps to be big and strong, with a good ear. The right hand takes a little getting used-to, as well.

6. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    It is a different instrument. Not only is the way you play it different, most of the musical ideas you have on bass guitar will probably need to be scrapped when you start the big bass. Your note choices/phrasings/etc need to be a little different to work with the instrument. At least that was my experience.

Well worth the effort IMO.

7. mattj1stc

mattj1stc Gold Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Dallas, TX USA
    +1 to this. I spent some time with fretless BGs as well before making the move. It helps to have some sense of fretless intonation.
    A lesson or two is also a good idea to get yourself setup correctly in terms of hand and body positions. The main thing is that you're no longer going one finger per fret - you're left hand no only covers 3 notes instead of 4. You'll also play fewer notes than on BG.

The other main divide is whether or not you want to be in an orchestra and bow. If yes, then you'll need lots of lessons. I found that I prefer an EUB because I mostly play in situations that require amplification and the feedback was too much with a regular bass. That said, playing a regular bass is a unique experience.