From clunk to funk....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fuzzyduck, Aug 12, 2005.

1. I'm on the verge of selling my Rickenbacker 4003 and Geddy Lee Jazz to replace them with a new Stingray.

Am i mad? Am i merely chaging tit for tat and losing money in the process?

Seriously, i need help...i want a change - ive had enough of that STUPID rick neck...but she's still a rick :|

Is it time to let go...?
  2. What ever floats your boat...I like Stingrays, but a lot of them weigh a ton. I think though that the Geddy Lee will be more versatile than a Sting Ray. Don't know much about Rics.
  3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    two amazing basses for only one amazing bass,men are you crazy? :rollno:
  4. Thats one of my worries - although i love the stingray sound it only does the stingray sound...

Will the sansamp i have (if anybody knows) give me much more to work with? Cos it didn't do much with the rick - although the jazz is amazing through it.
  5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

If you hate the Ric neck, there's not much value in having it, just for the sake of having a Ric. That being said, if you enjoy playing it, you may seriously regret selling it.

I'm surprised you aren't satisfied with the funk chops of the Geddy Lee. I'm not surprised you have GAS for a Stingray (who doesn't? :D ), but I'd be hesitant to get rid of the Geddy, since it's a monster of a bass, and it would seem that you enjoy playing it. I doubt selling it would generate enough money to overcome the feeling of missing it after its gone. though I suppose you could always get another one used.

Yeah, the Stingray only does the Stingray sound, but what a sound it is . . .

You've got a heck of a dilemma, there, my friend. :meh:
  6. you need to retitle this trhead from funk to clunk... seriously :scowl:
  7. If you're unhappy, not a word that I can say or anyone else should deter you from seeking what you're looking for.

Play the crap out of a 'Ray and then determine if that is the sound YOU want.
  8. Just checked...your not a disgruntled rick player :rolleyes: so i dont get it?? I know how them guys take offence lol...

Thanks for the reply Bartman, i like the geddy i really do (i cant stand the rick unless im looking at it) but...just selling the rick aint going to get me very far, i really want a new bass and im an impatient kid.

Very impatient actually :D

9. Thanks for killing my thread dude :D lol

But thats pretty much it i's just offloading £1600 of bass for half that no matter what the sound...grates on me.

Maybe im too materialistic :hyper:
  10. hehe I know Im not a disgruntled ric player, I want one so badly, and here you have one, and are selling it and I can't buy it. it makes me mad. But I do like the rays they have anice sounds. But they are indeed heavy as hell.
  11. I think he was referring to the signature Ric "clank" they have but I'm not sure about that.

If you're worried about versatility why not wait a couple months until 2 Pickup Stingray's hit the stores?
  12. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    The Geddy Jazz is a lot more flexible tonally than the Ric, true. But I sold my Ric back in '90 and deeply regret it today. You may want to think about it. Just save the money, man...
  13. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I love Rickenbackers, but if the neck really doesn't work for you, take your time and sell it for a decent price, and then pick up a good used Stingray. Just my opinion, but I don't think you should have to sell/trade both basses for one Stingray.

14. you should be able to either sell or trade your rick for a used stingray... why would you get rid of the geddy too?
  15. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    My experience is if you sell a quality instrument, at some stage you'll wish you hadn't. Keep those basses! If you want a 'Ray wait until you can add to your collection rather than do swapsies.

And while I'm here... Ric, Geddy, 'Ray are all great basses. I own a Ric and a 'Ray and several Js (would like to add a Geddy to these, actually). The Ric and 'Ray are wonderful at what they do, the Geddy is the most versatile of the three IMHO. So, what do you do?

(prevaricates agonisingly at keyboard)

NOOOOOOO.... I can't decide. Please, keep your Ric AND your Geddy!!

(If you REALLY have to sell your Geddy, PM me ;)
  16. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Stingrays are great basses but you only get that Stingray sound. It might be worth considering selling the Ric if you dont like it much, buy an outboard pre to use with the Geddy to give you some differnet sounds and then put the rest of the money towards your Stingray fund
  17. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I'd strongly suggest buying used. Dump the Ric for a used Stingray, and keep the Getty.