1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

From Combo to Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gabby, Mar 27, 2013.

1. gabby

gabby

Jan 28, 2013
    Hey All - I have a Fender Rumble 150 Combo that I'd like to upgrade. I believe I'd like a 410 cab with a tube head, but I'd like to upgrade in stages if possible. Can buy a cabinet first and use the 150 as the amp until I buy a tube amp?

I've looked for info on connecting/connections, but I'm not an equipment guy and haven't had much luck. I'm part of a band that just plays for fun, so I'm not looking for serious professional setups.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you're looking for a tube head, then you're looking for something pretty serious. You could use the Rumble with another cab, but I believe it only has one speaker out, and a 4 ohm limit. So if you use a single 8 ohm cab, you're probably only going to get 80w or so. Plus it's a real hassle to pull out a head from a combo because there are always other implications. For example, some combos don't have top lids on the heads, so you might have to make one. Me, I wouldn't do it, but it will work to use it.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Don't all y'all just luuv them comboz??? ;) ;) ;)

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I actually do love combos. My BA110 rocks. But let's face it...the cheaper ones have serious limitations...that's why they're cheap. But some of those cheap combos do sound great. As long as you don't try to make them something they're not...

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The Rumble has no ext spkr output. You'd need to disconnect the internal spkr, and wire up a jack to use another cab. Not worth the trouble, imo. Just save up until you can buy the whole rig.

6. You can be pretty sure as soon as the band is good enough at least half of you will want to play shows. Save up for a real rig.

Meantime the band learning to keep to a volume where they don't drown you out is a very good thing.