Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

From Dolphins to.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 7 Stringer, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Saw the thread about the Dolphin with no dolphin fret markers, so I'd thought I'd throw this question out...

If you could have any design as fret markers what would it be.. just dots, dolphins, or something different.. or what are the worst fret markers you've seen !!

:bassist:

2. I'd have cool diamond shaped fret markers.
    or no fret markers at all

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    My chest hair pattern..

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Block inlays with the Gettysburg Adress eteched into every single one. You'd need a magnifying glass to appreciate it, but hey, it's the comfort of knowing you'll never be at a loss as to the words of Ol' Abe.

5. how about the anti-dolphin.......

Cans of tuna fish!!!!

6. OysterBoy

OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Hexagons, ala the Automags.Org symbol (www.automags.org). ( Reformed Paintball junkie :p )

[​IMG]

7. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    I'd like Yin-Yang symbols as fret markers except at the 12th and 24th fret. There I'd like 8-ball inlays. Where there's usually two dots, I'd like two 8-balls. Plain old dots on the side. Nothing too crazy.

The YinYangs symbolizing balance and the 8-balls symbolizing those moments of unpredictability when you're looking to anything for the answers (i.e. the magic 8-ball.)

8. I used to post there

9. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Hmm...that's a toughy, but I really like the Inifity symbol that JM signature bass has, so I think I'll go with taht for the moment. Either that or get an inlay of a spoon. Just to confuse people :smug:

10. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I'm not sure if this is already out there, but the naked ladies you see on truckers' mud flaps. :)

11. The PRS bird inlays are really cool. Although I don't know how they'd look on a bass.

12. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Same reply as the other dolphin posting, My ideal inlays:

Self portraits in abalone.

But now I've got a twist. They'd be pics of me as I aged, So the 3-5-7-9 markers would be me as a kid growing up and getting into the Heavy Metal Hair Days. 12 and up would be me as an adult, developing the Male Pattern Baldness Days.

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I too am a fan of the PRS bird inlays.

I'd do one of those clef-yin yang things at the 12th in abalone and mother of pearl, but with gold separating them, outlining the dots, and outlining the whole circle. That'd look so freakin' swank. Maybe when I'm older (eg, late thirties) I'll get an Alembic with that.

14. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i would get a number on every fret. dots on da side. and they'd be led's.

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I prefer none or star inlays

16. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Schecter I believe has the mudflap stripper girls.

I like no inlays. Hate dots the worst, they look cheap.

17. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    I like.

18. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I had that done to my cirrus for all of the markers excep the 12 (kept the "C" on that one). It didn't cost me too much either, and the bass still looks stock!!! :D

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    nekkid boards only for me. The 3 basses I had control over (one Carvin I ordered and both my 51s) had no inlay on board.... side dots only.

Ricks look cool with the shark fin inlays. Worst is the Michael Anthony peppers :eyebrow: ***! wasn't that a WalMart decor in the late 90s?