1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

From dUg Tech 21 back to Big Muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Anti-Matter, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Aug 26, 2016
    I had wanted to love Tech 21's dUg Pinnick pedal cuz I love dUg and his tone, but somehow it wasn't working for me (at least not enough to justify the price). Then I started playing around again with my Deluxe Big Muff bass fuzz. When you crank up that high pass filter, you get that shrill/chunk sound of dUg's pedal, but with some heavier distortion. Trade off is it's hard to keep that bottom end going, but I find leaving the low pass filter around 9 o'clock and cranking the bass on my EQ does the job.

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I can relate. I've purchased an ebs drive me crazy about a month ago. it sounded cool and all, but it doesn't seem to be working out for me. and it's actually because I'm more use to distortion pedal with blend controls and/or eq controls. this pedal obviously doesn't have a blend control, but does preserve lows on deep mode. but when it comes to distortion pedals on bass, I prefer the kind that has a blend control and/or an eq control. so now I plan to get a new distortion pedal sometime soon. I was thinking of getting the source audio aftershock or one of the darkglass pedals.

3. Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Aug 26, 2016
    Deluxe Big Muff has a lot of those controls, although officially it's a fuzz and not distortion. In addition to that high pass filter, I'm using the blend knob a bit more to get that bass through.
    Folks are very divided on the DarkGlass, so I'd be sure you can return it if you don't like it. You might want to check out Cog's stuff as well: COG Effects - Custom Pedals

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Interesting. To get heavier tones from the dUg pedal I stack another distortion pedal into it, but a one-pedal solution is more convenient (obviously).

5. Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Aug 26, 2016
    Yeah, I did that, too. The dUg pedal has a reputation for not playing well with others, but I think that can be 1) embraced by using that super high gain for some occasional squelch or 2) lessened by focusing on that clean bottom end that dUg's pedal sends through (which you can then distort or do what you want). I might circle back around to it one of these days, but I'm glad to explore what I have already a bit more.