1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

From Evah Pirazzi weich to Spirocore Mittels right for me.

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by John F Hebert, Aug 25, 2017.

1. John F Hebert

John F Hebert

Nov 1, 2014
    New York
    I have an important gig coming up playing with Vanderlei Pereira, brazilian jazz drummer who commented how soft my sound was in rehearsal. I agreed. My strings sounded dead and soft (1 year old Evah Weich) so I made the jump to Spirocore 42 mittel, and I'm VERY happy with the sound. I play a Hybrid Upton Bass which has poplar sides and back and a spruce carved top so its already a dark sounding bass but with the Spirocores on there it sounds just right! I was afraid "mittels" would be too hard on my fingers, but the strings are actually EASIER and smaller than the Evah Weichs which made me pleasantly surprised. Okay End on rave.

james condino and Josh Kneisel like this.
  2. downunder

downunder

Aug 25, 2005
    Philadelphia
    funny thing, I just had a similar experience with a different outcome. Year-old, dead-sounding Evahs; put a new set of Spiro Mittels on. On that bass (King Mortone) they sounded really twangy and were very stiff. I cleaned the evahs really well with lighter fluid and and a rag, cleaned the FB and put them back on. A lot of black grime came off the strings and fb. Now the bass sounds fine.

3. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I LOVE MITTELS! Seriously. They always seem to sound best on my ply too...

4. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I just installed a set of Spircore 3/4 lights on my bass after years of playing synthetic-core strings (Evah Pirazzi Weich, Zyex and Obligato). I'm pleased with added brightness and clarity of pitch.

- Steve

geoffbassist likes this.
  5. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee

WAIT YOU REPLACED OBLIGATOS WITH SPIROS?! HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD?!

Steve Boisen likes this.
  6. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Steve can you or someone chime in on the difference between 3/4 and 3/4 weichs?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  7. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I know...I know :rolleyes:

- Steve

8. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I've never tried the 3/4 medium* set, but I wanted something lighter than the 4/4 mediums I've used in the past and these were recommended by my friend @kscbass who has a bass like mine. The 3/4 lights are in between the 4/4 mediums and 4/4 lights in terms of tension and thickness. I'm very pleased with them so far.

- Steve

*I'm using the terms "medium" and "light" rather than "mittel'" and "weich" since that's how Thomastik labels their strings now.

9. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Thanks, very helpful. I like the 4/4 lights, but they do feel and sound like a "light" string (less depth) - a slightly more robust version sounds just right.

Steve Boisen likes this.