1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

From Guitar to Bass conversion on a budget

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Toban.Ivan, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Toban.Ivan

Toban.Ivan

Sep 2, 2010
    Hi all, I'm in need of help.

Looking for one amplified veeeeery little bass for my 3 years old son but:
    - he will very probably let it fall on the floor at the very first chance so the budget is corresponding;
    - he will surely convert it as a slide for Lightning McQueen and friends etc;
    - he will hopefully help me in my quest of get-my-wife-angry-as-hell playing damned amplified basses 'round the house.. ;)

So, after all the premises.. may I do basically convert a cheap electric guitar in a bass by changing the bridge, the tuners if really necessary and adding a single pickup somewhere around the recalculated MM sweet spot?

I'm thinking about a cheap stratocaster imitation guitar, something in a $ 50,00 budget..

What about the intonation?
    What kind of strings you will use on a 22-1/2" scale?

2. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    You'd be better off looking for a cheap half scale or other shorter than normal scale bass.
    Less work.
    Probably better end result.
    & look for used.

It would be worth it

3. BazzTard

BazzTard Inactive

can a 3 year old play a bass ? strings may be too big ? maybe a small 6 stringer with 2 strings missing?

zontar likes this.
  4. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Or this...

5. Toban.Ivan

Toban.Ivan

Sep 2, 2010
    Well Reverend, this is exactly what I'm pointing to!

My son is showing so much interest on my basses lately that I can't even think of playing for 5 minutes all alone.. I had to give him my Warmoth J to avoid him playing with my Tom Clement. And I love my J.

I had not thinked about the 2 strings simplification but now I seen your SimRay I can't think at anything better than this solution.

Consider your idea completely stolen.

The bigger difference will be the color. I don't even need to ask him.. Metallic RED, with a yellow Lightning covered by the 95 number.

..... can't stand Cars any more ..... I really need him changing obsession asap .... ;)

tjclem likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021