from Guitar to Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rapsucks, May 20, 2001.

1. rapsucks

May 20, 2001
    do i need to do anything speical to my guitar to make it into a bass?

i never played bass but i gotta switch
    what should i do to my guitar
    im too poor to buya bass anyway
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    In general, you would follow the same procedure you would use to switch a trumpet into a tuba.
  3. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Yeah. Sell your guitar and buy a bass.
    Seriously, a guitar can't be turned into a "real" bass.
  4. If you really want to, sell your soul to the devil and buy an octave pedal.
  5. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I doubt you will be able to turn your guitar into a good sounding bass, even if you are good with that type of stuff.

I would suggest saving up and getting a cheaper bass instead of trying to turn your guitar into one.
  6. You wont be happy if you try to give you guitar a sex-change. I don't think it can be done. And, if you do, it will still <i>really</i> be a guitar after the operation.

Seriously, I recommend a Squier P-bass. You can get one for about $150 or a P-bass package that comes wih a practice amp, gig bag, video, etc. for only $300. Or a Fender P or J for $300
  7. pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    definately buy a bass.
    get a fender standard precision bass, or standard jazz bass.
    they're cheap, and for someone just starting out on bass, they're quite good.
  8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Wait 'til he finds out he needs a bass amp too! :eek:
  9. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Chris Ballew from the Presidents of the United States of America made his 2 string bass from an Epiphone guitar. He tunes it down to C#. Don't know how he keeps the strings from flopping against the pickups.

So, yes it can be done if you're only planning to play in a Presidents cover band.
  10. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK

11. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Gentlemen, are we not blowing this up? :D
  12. As for what slater said,

As for the amp, keep this in mind: Do NOT play a bass through a guitar amp You can **** up your amp!

Playing a guitar through your bass amp will not destroy anthing, but it may not sound the too great

Keep in mind, bass amps need to be more powerful than guitar amps, not to mention and equivilantly sized bass speaker weighs alot more than a guitar one. therefore, you might notice your arms getting bigger after you start playing bass.
  13. what can i say, this is just an awesome thread. thank you for putting a smile on my face, i needed it today.
  14. Sort've on the topic: (the opposite of the original post.. but it ties in with the presidents reference)

Didn't the PUSA guitarist use a 3 string guitar made from a bass? Where'd he find strings long enough?