Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

From guitar to bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MPU, Sep 15, 2005.

1. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    There's been many questions about making a bass out of a guitar body. Here's my take: a semi-hollow guitar body from eBay (OS by Washburn) as a bass body. I filled the pup holes, two pot holes and one switch hole as well as bolt-on screw holes from back. I stripped the body with heat gun (the clear coat was very hard, after heating it just dusted away with scraper). Short scale neck is made of mahogany with two maple stripes and rosewood fretboard. Bridge is Allparts Gibson 3-point, pup is DiMarzio Model One in P-bass position. Top is going to be gold, back and sides dark mahogany stain and clear coat (probably spray can).
    Marko

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Cool. I have an old Samick shortie with a neck that's a real peach and I just picked up an Ash Strat body (5lbs) to replace the plywood one it has now. I've got a few different pickups that fit in the H-H-H routs it came with and I'm going to splurge on an ETS Mk III bridge and tailpiece to put on it. The bridge will probably cost about as much as the rest of the bass, but I plan to drill through the body so that from ferrules to nut will be about 34" giving me a much wider choice of strings and availability.

Might just oil the ash and leave it PG free for that 'rat-ho' look.

3. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Here's almost finished guitar>bass project. The sound is sweet!
    Marko

4. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've always wanted to see people who have done such a conversion. I'm always looking for vintage Japanese EB-2 bass copies, but all I find are the similar-looking guitars.

5. Damn you MPU, now I've got to look out for a hollow or semi-hollow gitfiddle body - along with the myriad of other screwy project subjects I have in my head! :spit: :D Nice work.

Years ago, I actually started a little project like this but wasn't totally geared up for it. I had a mahogany Les Paul Jr copy body and a NOS bound and blocked Kent 2 x 2 short scale neck that had never been mounted. I got it mounted to the body and was working on the body's finish when I lost interest but the possibility of having a bass that made me feel like I had the fingers of Stanley Clarke was pretty cool.

6. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    What's the scale?

The placement of the bridge, pup, knobs, etc. look dead-on with this Epi Jack Cassidy picture I pulled up (for comparison).

7. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Scale is 30,25" like on Gibsons. Hambone; I'm sorry, ,I'll delete this message right away (just kidding). I hope Gibson has nothing against borrowing their font? That's where the U in MPU comes from.
    Marko