From Halloween Straight to Christmas

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Boplicity, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Looks like 2003 is shaping up to be the year that the U.S. culture decided to completely jump straight from Halloween to Christmas and the holiday season the very next day.

When I was a kid in the fifties, Christmas holiday festivities and decor seemed to materialize about mid-December. As years went by, that got pushed back until just after Thanksgiving. Then department stores started in late September in the ninties, but this year I have really seen a full cultural move toward what I call full bore Christams activities even BEFORE Thanksgiving!

For example, posh Wellington Green Mall brought Santa in LAST WEEKEND, a full two weeks before Turkey Day!! Private neighborhood homes are beginning to display Christams lights now! Upscale City Place in West Palm Beach has their main Christams tree fully decorated and lit. Some nearby parks have their Christmas and Hannuka displays up. Heck, my condo association lit their holiday lights this weekend.

It is unreal! The holiday season has gone from two or three weeks to over two months. Maybe that's not all bad. I love holiday lights and decorations, but I'm not even ready for Thankgsgiving yet. I can see why department stores want a long and early holiday season, but why are private and government entities starting so soon now? Have our customs and traditions really changed dramatically and why? Could it be that it takes so long to put up our ever-more elaborate decorations, that we might as well get them up and leave them up for weeks and weeks?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    maybe this is the first step toward year round holidays!

probably not.
  3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Me and a few of my friends where talking about that just the other day. I think it has to do with the marketing of the larger company's. If you are in the Christmas Mood for longer you will spend more.
  4. Boplicity

I believe that is definitely the intent of the retailers, but I wonder if that approach really works. The earlier you spend, the earlier you run out of money. Also, you get sick of shopping for Christmas, at least I do.

But it is now not just retailers who start early holiday season decorating. Private homes in my neighborhood have started lighting up and it is very hard to ignore. It really seems as if the public and not just retailers are pushing the two month long holiday season.
  5. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I noticed that too. I work at Spencer Gifts at our local mall. At one point we had the leftovers of our Halloween stuff and Christmas Hats/Stockings/etc. within feet of each other. The Monday after Halloween i walked into the mall, expecting to see the normal no decorations, but instead i walk in to Christmas Music and Christmas Decor. It freaked me out. It seems odd, but hey if it means people will drop more money in our store-that's a good thing.

I don't get paid on commission [thank god], but if they feel like they should buy stuff now i won't complain :D The other good thing about it to me is that if the malls are busier, we get more hours to use at work, and more hours for the manager to distribute equals more hours i get and more hours i get equals more money for new bass toys. :bassist: That's all
  6. Unfortunately for me, I don't live in Hong Kong anymore.

Every major holiday there, they would put up giant light displays on all the tall buildings (i.e. most of them) facing the harbor for said holiday. The ones I can really remember are Chinese New Year and Christmas/New Year's.

I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure those lights don't go up until the end of November at the earliest, but usually closer to the beginning/middle of December. It's always great to be on a boat or on Kowloon side looking across to see the cityscape complimented with lights creating images of Santa in Christmas, or rats/oxen/tigers/rabbits/dragons/snakes/horses/goats/monkeys/chickens/dogs/pigs in Chinese New Year. If they've started doing that ridiculously early now, I think I might cry.
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I love Christmas myself, so I'm happy when I see all the lights out this early. I was never one to put up Thanksgiving decorations.
  8. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    Bottom line with corporations, its not about the season, its about making profit now. Halloween brings in money from costumes and candy and assorted "fall" things, Christmas is the buying season for everything, Thanksgiving? only grocery stores make a buck from that.
  9. I work in retail and all this week we have been busting a** trying to make the next floor set for the christmas holiday after having set the late fall floor set only about 2 weeks earlier. frustrating as it may be i'm getting paid and i leave that job in another month...leaving just in time before the insanity that is last minute holiday shopping hits my local mall. While my fellow employees are freakin out at all the people bum rushing the store i'll be in florida chillin with a cool drink and enjoing the warm weather.
  10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    See, I don't get any extra paid holidays from work.
  11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I guess taking some time to be thankful doesn't seem to hold appeal compared to shopping and decorating.
  12. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Well, considering the biggiest shopping day of the year is the day after thanksgiving. It dosen't surprise me that christmas crap is already out!

Modern day christmas is about making money, that's all!!! Some people still have the christmas spirit, but it boils down to money!

Lets just have one holiday rolled into one!

Happy Newchristeastergive-o-ween!
    Celebrated on July 4th.

I know I forgot a couple of holidays........but who cares!
  13. Isn't that against the law? It is, around here.
  14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I mean. with the massively extended "Christmas" season. If they want me to shop more, I need more paid holidays. (I won't shop more anyway though, but "they" don't have to know that! ;) )
  15. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well, if nothing else, Thanksgiving might serve as our reminder of what holidays were like before they all became over-commercialized...

16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    For the last few years, the Christmas crap has been out before Halloween here in western NY.

Personally I hate Christmas, decorations, having Christmas music piped down my throat, greedy retailers telling me to "buy now", or to "put it on layaway" etc.......

I realize the Three Wisemen came bearing gifts, but its gotten way out of hand.
  17. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    How true is that!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:
  18. linens 'n things, the home/housewares store, had the halloweenie stuff up late august, and x-mas started in september. it was crazy!

i finally quit this week. the thought of another insane shopper season was too much.

they told us that most retail stores do 60% of their business during this period, which explains the mad rush to merchandise and profit. it really is too much, though.

gimme x-mas by the fire with a cup of hot cocoa and my old bing crosby albums anyday!

19. Boplicity

Last year I was complaining to a WalMart employee who was stocking shelves with Christams decor in late September. She told me they HAD TO start stocking shelves that early because the suppliers send everything out that early. As WalMart does not have a stock room large enough to hold all that merchandise, they have no choice but to put it on the shelves when it arrives...which is mid-September.

I found her explanation quite enlightening, because it really shows that the PUSH comes from the manufacturers, maybe even more than the retailers.

Still that doesn't explain why the private sector has started lighting home Christmas lights November first, even before their children have eaten all their Halloween candy. That is what I'm talking about as an actaul indicator of a cultural change. Retailers have decorated early for a few decades now, but homeowners are starting now, too. I wonder why.