From mittels to corellis

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Abjimajik, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Abjimajik

Sep 26, 2004
    Luton, England
    Huge respect to everyone here, I have been lurking for ages and owe all of you a great deal.
    I am working on rabbath stuff playing 95% arco on my check ply bass with spirocore mittels.
    For ages i was using cheap rosin (not sure what kind), got myself some carlsson and things are going great.
    I am thinking of changing to corelli 370f, am I right in thinking i will get a darker tone than with the mittels? I'm also worried about losing volume, I love the projection im getting and though i don't pizz much lately, it's nice to know ive got the volume and growl there. I play with quite a low string height.
    Are there any other strings that may suit me? Will the corellis play arco much better?
    Many thanks.
  2. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    The switch you're talking about (mittel to 370f) is important: you'll find the correlli much thinner and with less tension and volume, IMHO. I am not sure they won't be as bright as mittels...
    May I suggest Superflexibles: basically same (tension, diameter, projection, etc...) as spirocore mittel, but darker.
  3. Abjimajik

Sep 26, 2004
    Luton, England
    Thanks for the advice Olivier, after reading more threads on superflexibles i think your probably right, although i still think it would be interesting to try a more drastic change. Strings cost the earth over here so it's difficult to just try things out. Would love to get both, I think I'll go with superflexibles and get some corellis for my E.U.B. at a later date.
    Brits should start a string swapping community.
  4. mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I agree with Oliver as I switched to Correlli 370 and found the thinness to be distracting besides the loss of volume. The superflexibles work much better for me.