1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

From Nordy NP4 to Lollar?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by phishaholik, Sep 23, 2008.

1. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I have a Nordstrand NP4 in my P-bass and I'm thinking of trying a Lollar instead. The Nordy has a very scooped tone. I bet it would sound sick with a set of rounds, but I think its a bit too modern for flats. It's funny, but it sounds awesome for slap and it has TI flats on it right now. I'm looking for a bit more of a classic tone on this bass. Any opinions on the switch?

Mike

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    after playing with off the shelf pickups for several years I stumbled on Pete Biltoft at www.vintagevibeguitars.com He has the unique in my experience ability to translate 'muso - speak' into a pickup. I said warm, articulate, punchy - he came back with Alnico III, a slight overwind. I was after something warm and detailed. I think he nailed it ...

Link to his site
    http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com/windows/pbassWin.html

Link to my sample
    http://w3.gorge.net/mfbrown/vvwater.mp3

No EQ, no compression, no chops were used during the recording of this sample :D Radial J48, Digi 002R, ProTools

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The classic P bass is a scooped tone. P basses are kind of hollow sounding. TI flats don't sound like the vintage flatwound tone, not enough "thud"... you want something like Fender flats.

TI's sound almost like round wounds. Great strings, but not "vintage" sounding at all.

4. Ye speaketh the truth.

5. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Sadowsky flats on a P-bass are the s***. Vintage tone even through MB LMII and EPI UL cabs!@!!

Rev. C

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I currently have a set on my bass so I could try them with the new pickups and an aluminum Hipshot A bridge.

They are nice strings, even nicer than my previous favorite, Labella Deep Talkin' stainless flats. I'm putting rounds back on today, but I'm sure I'll put these on one of my basses.

D'Addario Half Rounds get a nice vintage thump too.

7. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    My 78 Pbass has a Np4 and I use once in a while an old set of LaBella flats.
    All that means Vintage Tone.