Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

From now on I'm gonna be honest

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I buy a tone of stuff on eBay. I almost *never* get what I'm expecting because people in general are such liars. I also sell plenty of stuff on eBay. I'm pretty honest, but I'm still a liar.

For example: I'm currently selling an Avatar 115 Neo on eBay. Everybody, including me, always says something like -"I'd love to keep this baby, but the taxman is calling, so I must part with it". If they were honest, they would say: "I tried this out, and not only did I not like it...I HATED it - do you want to buy it?"

Or howabout this one: "Vintage Marshall - they just don't make 'em like this anymore. Tone for DAYS. These things just keep increasing in value - don't miss this chance to own a classic. And I think Jimi Hendrix might have used this one."

To: "Old Marshall - the circuit didn't really change at all for at least 15 years, so you can pay up and think you're cool, and you'll most likely have problems with this amp because hey...it's older than dirt, and you could buy the exact same thing, only 15 years newer for about 1/4 of the price".

Or just "I'm selling this because I hate it"

Would anybody appreciate this honesty?

Skel

2. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    I can't answer that, but I do know one thing: I'll stay away from that Avatar your selling. :D

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    So, you're saying I wouldn't make the greatest salesman?

Skel

4. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Let's just say you and I have similar abilities in the area of retail. And I couldn't sell a hamburger to a starving man.

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've been pretty well off on ebay.

First Ibanez: RB800, was told it was an older model and that it was in an ok condition. I got what I was told, albeit a month later with a 20 dollar refund and hard case instead of gig bag because the guy said he was in Alaska working on medical equipment or something. Not relaly complaining.

A few days ago: Ibanez SR800 (or at least I'm pretty sure) - listing says perfect condition, that its been sittin in its case for 12 years. I just had to jump on it for 190 :p...waitin for it to come in.

Anyways, I guess people just do it; I mean money is money, and more from (stupid, ignorant, those who dontdo their research, etc) people the better...for the seller anyways.

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Being serious, I think you can be honest, without being crazy. Like if you just say "This is very high quality, but just wasn't my thing" - that kind of stuff. Or on something like a '74 Marshall, you just need to stick to the facts and let people decide for themselves based on their own knowledge. Maybe somebody really wants a '74 Marshall, for whatever reason. The one thing that gets me the most is when an amp is advertised, and the emphasis is on how loud it is. As if there are people out there thinking "if I could just play louder!"

Skel

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm no salesman, so I try to be honest :D Take the middle ground:

Avatar 1x15 for sale. <Insert stuff from the Avatar website here>.

Unless somebody asks, I don't think you have to have a reason for selling.

8. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I have been very lucky on EBay selling gear. I have found that the best reason to give (if you choose to give one) is:

"This is a really great piece of gear for the right person. I am only selling because I need to thin the herd a bit."

It's honest, succinct, and harmless. :smug:

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yea, but I feel like I need to say "This is a really great piece of gear....that I don't like." If I just leave out the reason for selling, I always get asked why I'm selling, and I can't stand lying, but I do it because I don't know what else to do.

Skel

10. I have done well on the instruments I sell on EBay, getting very fair prices with satisfied buyers. I usually don't go into great detail on reasons. The truth is usually I have too much stuff and I need the cash right now and that is all I say.

Where I go for it big time is to very specifically describe the item and its condition. I also post huge, clear, high rez pictures of the item from all angles and highlight every single bit of damage with arrows or circles. Of course the images also show off the instrument.

I find that people are very willing to bid when they feel like they know exactly what they are bidding on. I am much more likely to go for an item that is presented in this sort manner, as opposed to a out of focus camera-phone pic and a description of "hey it is pretty good but all sales are final" - though I have never bought an instrument online - yet.

my 2 cents

Peace,
    S

11. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

+1

I have found that a well-written description carries a tremendous amount of weight.

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I think it's honorable that you want to clean up your act. I don't think everybody makes up stuff - in order to sell their stuff. i don't think it's necessary to say why you're selling something, and if someone asks, there's a ton of good reasons you can give without lying. Some already mentioned.

Got too much gear
    I don't use it anymore
    I don't use it anymore cuz I like the sound of whatever better
    I need the money
    I'd rather have the money than the amp
    I don't like it, period. Some people swear by these things, it ain't my thing.
    Bought it, and like my old gear better.

Basically - whatever the truth is. If you're selling something that's defective, then I think you should be honest about that too. If not, my personal belief is your going to pay a price kharmically anyhow. If you're selling something somebody else wants and you just don't like, your opinion of it probably isn't going to change their minds about buying. If somebody wants a vintage marshall and you're selling it for whatever it's true worth is, you're not going to stop them by saying you don't like it.

On the other hand, if you're looking to screw people - then continue lying. I think you'll lose in the long run though. Doesn't sound from you're post like you want to do that though. :)

13. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    This post was actually very helpful - thanks. No, I never try to screw people, I never try to profit or anything - just break even maybe. Most of the time I'm selling top notch MINT gear and lossing my ass. I always start my auctions out at .99 cents with no reserve, so it's whatever the market will bear. I've been *disappointed* my share of times on purchases, but really, everytime it's my own fault for not asking enough questions, doing research, and demanding good pics. It's ironic that you are from NYC. I have found the most honest people to be from NYC or NJ, where you would expect shiesters - so not true. The obvious thing is, I have excellent feedback after 50 transactions. Here's one bad thing I've done: I remember selling a *really* nice, MINT Hughes & Kettner Duotone combo guitar amp that I myself bought off eBay. I only played it in my house, and only about 4 or 5 times. I decided I preferred old Marshalls over its tone and decided to sell it. It had a very intermittent problem of cutting out after playing it for an hour or so. I didn't sell it for *this* reason, and when I got ready to sell it, I tested it and couldn't get it to cut out. I sold it and I and didn't say anything about it in the item description, and I should have - that's just plain wrong and dishonest. I think it would have been SO hard to fix it, since the issue was so hard to reproduce, and the techs in my area (all 2 ) are just plain not good. If I knew I could get if fixed, I'd have done it in a heartbeat (even this is a lie - I could have shipped it to H&K). But at the end of the day, there is no excuse for that. And for all I know, it's never happened to the buyer -still wrong though. What if it cuts out on him all the time, and *he* can't get it fixed, and he makes his living as a guitarist. The truth is, the guy bought it for his 13 year old son, so I justified what I did based on that. Wrong. So, I'll get my Kharma just like you said. I probably already have.

Skel

14. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    I would appreciate the honesty but.................

Well you get the point.

"Bull**** makes the world go round"

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Good on ya my friend. I would appreciate the honesty. Just realize that you will open youself up to a lot of "why do you hate it?" questions.

-Mike

16. kragen

kragen

Jul 4, 2005
    Bath
    I always look twice at something if the description includes a reason for sale, or just generally anything with advice rather than fact.

17. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Sometimes I think I'm the only person left on earth who does this, but I try to be honest with everyone all the time. Now, I'm not going to tell my wife that she looks fat in that dress, but if I'm listing something on ebay, I'm going to be upfront and honest the whole way through. I've got a perfect record on ebay with a lot of transactions, and when problems have arised with something I've sold, I take care of the customer no matter what.

I'm honest to the point of it sometimes being to my detriment.

Always be honest with yourself and others, and you will die a happy man.

18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Since we're on the subject I'm gonna post a definition for honesty I found a few months ago that blew me away. It's what I strive for and really hope I one day attain - right after sainthood :) .

"... honesty does not apply only to what you say. The term actually means consistency. There is nothing you say that contradicts what you think or do; no thought opposes any other thought; no act belies your word; and no word lacks agreement with another. Such are the truly honest. At no level are they in conflict with themselves."

That comes from a book called A Course in Miracles, by the way.

19. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Ok, here's something that really urks me. I just sold a '74 50 watt Marshall in excellent conditition with mullard tubes, totally stock and sounded unbelievable - no hissing, buzzing, crackling - just a perfect amp (don't worry, I have 2 more). I was surprised at the low price it sold for - only around $700. Anyway, I email the guy, asking him how he likes it and he tells me he took it straight to the shop to have it all checked out - "thats the way he does things" he says. He didn't even plug it in to try it! I have no issue with that except, what if his techs are bozos, screw this perfect amp all up, or do a bunch of unneccesary work and charge the guy a ton of money, and then he evaluates me, and the product I sold him based on this, and then starts to lean on me to pay him for the work or he'll leave me bad feedback. When I shipped him the amp, I told him if he didn't like it I would buy it back from him. But I would want to buy back the *same* amp I sold him. If some bozo tech altered the amp, I don't *want* it back. I haven't heard anything from the guy, but the whole feedback thing with eBay is scary sometimes. I would have to buy the amp back no matter how unreasonable the situation is, because he has the feedback power in his favor.

I realize I'm jumping the gun here, but he hasn't left me any feedback, and it's been about 3 weeks. What would you guys do in this kind of situation if he gets weird after the amp comes out of the shop?

20. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I just figured one thing out. You NEVER leave feedback until they leave feedback. If it ends in a "no feedback" stalemate -so be it.