From pick to pluck

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Charbger, Aug 2, 2000.

1. Charbger

Aug 2, 2000
    Hi there Michael

I'v been playing bass for about two years, and have used a pick from the beginning (my crazy teachers idea). I'v stopped taking lessons and have been trying to change away from this reliance on my trusty pick, with limited effect. I would love to throw the damn thing away, but i just can't do the same sort of things without it. What would you suggest that might help me rid myself of pick playing?
  2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I am glad that you have seen the light. You probably don't remember how frustrating it was to learn to use the pick in the first place. After a while your muscles developed a "memory" and you no longer had to think about the actual process of picking. You will need to give plucking the same kind of time. Your finfgers need to develop their muscle memory. What makes it all the more frustrating, now, is that you have the ability to play things, you just can't make it work with your fingers instead of a pick. Although this doesn't make it easier, it might give you some insight to what's going on.

In developing any new technique, I think it is important to get into it slowly. Play 1/ to 1/3 of your practice time with your fingers and gradually increase the time you practice with your fingers. It is not a bad idea to keep your picking skills as well. The more techniques that you have, the more valuable you are - the more work you can get.