From picking to plucking...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by RichyB., Nov 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. RichyB.

RichyB.

Sep 24, 2015
    Cheshire, England
    Finally!

I understand now how bass players master finger technique.

I'ts nothing to do with hours of practice and stubborn resistance to the temptation of those little plastic things.

Rejoice for the hour of enlightenment is upon us!

Simply, start playing with a pick and you will notice that everytime you put the little plastic triangle down lo, it will disappear.

Eventually, you will get so sick and tired (or bankrupt) of replacing them that you will simply not bother and think "shag it, I'll just play with my fingers instead". Does wonders for motivation!

Mr. Sound and Ballin'bass like this.
  2. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Like the 1970s Anti Smoking poster said. Best Advice Yet. Don't start.

3. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Don't get me wrong, pick is great for certain tone, and some songs just sound wrong unless picked, but for ME anyway, fingerstyle is the way I am going for most of my playing. I am not going to fault someone that plays most of their stuff with a pick, do what works for you!

Mattrill and Oldschool94 like this.
  4. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014 Inactive

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    I use both fingers and picks. For me it depends on the song.

5. dgrizzly

dgrizzly

Apr 28, 2014
    Mile High USA
    I use my thumb as a pick sometimes. Tough to lose that one.

Need Gigs likes this.
  6. Ratking88

Ratking88

Oct 27, 2013
    Paris, France
    Ballin'Bass > Man, you should listen to Steve Swallow or Anthony Jackson !

Need Gigs likes this.
  7. Jefff

Jefff

Aug 14, 2013
    Chicago
    Yet another guy who has no trouble playing 32nd notes with his fingers...

8. Ballin'bass

Ballin'bass

Jun 16, 2014
    Madison, WI
    Alright guys sorry for my brash statement. I was trying to be funny and it didn't come off the right way. My apologies.

9. Maryvillebass

Maryvillebass Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Maryville, TN
    It all just depends on the song. There are some songs where the pick just adds too much...there are some songs where the fingers just dont add enough. To say only one is right is the same as saying every song should be played on a Stingray. Theres plenty of sounds out there. Its nice to make them all!

bassplayer2014 likes this.
  10. Oldschool94

Oldschool94

Jan 9, 2015
    I have a velcro patch sewn into the inside side of my strap, which I attached a pick-holder containing four picks to. I always put my pick back in when done. Problem solved. It's nice and discreet, can't be seen from the stage, very easy to reach, and is transferable between instruments. I have to play with a pick fairly regularly because I have extremely soft skin and my calluses crack routinely despite years of playing and careful treatment. Plus it's easier on my wrist since I play close to the neck when I pick. I find I can get plenty of tones with a pick or fingers, so it's usually irrelevant which one I use. It's slightly easier to do certain things using different techniques.

11. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I agree with the OP that when you put a pick down it instantly vanishes. Then it turns up in the washing machine or at the bottom of your clothes hamper, or some drawer filled with junk. Picks can teleport anywhere. They're from another dimension.

12. GregT

GregT

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    I use a pick about half of the time. Different songs call for different methods. I am not ashamed of my picks at all. My basses all have pick holders. I recently got a black 2015 American Standard Precision. The first thing I did was change to TI Flats and put on a pick holder. 20151004_112312.jpg

BPhillips likes this.
  13. BPhillips

BPhillips Ayatollah of Rock 'N' Rolla

Oct 12, 2015
    Savannah, GA
    I play 70's-90's hard classic rock in my cover band. I used to only play with fingers. Now I play 75% of the songs with a pick and everyone loves it. At Church services and events, I only use fingers. There is certainly a time and place. Plus, I have come to grips with the fact that my fingers aren't as fast as Steve Harris's.

14. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    When I began playing, I thumbed the strings. I know how to thumb my nose, too.

15. 2manynotes

2manynotes Inactive

Jun 22, 2012
    Guitarists get the hot chicks. Guitarists play with picks. Therefore, I use a pick.

I also have magic fingers, and can slap like a pimp.

This isn't the appropriate forum to discuss my tapping skills.:cool:

16. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    If and when I use a pick, it's made from the finger bones of bass players who think they're too elitist to play with a pick.

Tanner5382, Phil508 and Londo Molari like this.
  17. I've been using a thumb pick lately. I leave it attached to my thumb and it makes for easy switching between fingers and pick. Seems to work pretty well. Until I'm done playing and take the pick off and set it down and it runs off and hides somewhere. That's why I scatter them all over the house and in cases and stuff.

18. 7dollarbologna

7dollarbologna Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Downtown Albuquerque
    Desert Eccentric
    I've been doing the Norwood Fischer technique of pretending to use a flat pick

19. :roflmao:

It just gets funnier and then hilarious. The number of people painting themselves into corners...

Cross-post from another thread:

Oldschool94 and Atshen like this.
  20. Mattrill

Mattrill facebook.com/dayshazy

Feb 20, 2015
    London
    It's the Pick Fairies.

They steal picks to harness their mystical tone powers.

And when they're not out stealing our picks, they're on Talkbass creating forums on how real bass players don't use picks.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021