1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

From Snarky Puppy - 12.11.2017

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by howlin, Jan 9, 2018.

1. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    . . . While we still feel that the streaming model is not yet compensating artists fairly, the bottom line is that we care more about reaching our listeners than selling records. This ultimately affects what kind of records we can make and how often we make them, but I think it's worth it at this moment in time. That said, we are at a point in our career (after almost a decade and a half of music making) in which we can carry on without selling albums the way we used to. We actually make money on tour. We sell merch. We sell sheet music. Though we do feel the hit of loss of album sales, we're fine with our alternative revenue streams and we can survive. Many artists- many artists you LOVE- can not. So, for those of you with the desire and means to support artists, I humbly encourage that you buy their music. Physical, direct digital download (which you can now import into streamers like Spotify)... anything helps.
    You wouldn't believe how many incredible musicians I have spoken with over the last few months who are desperate about their situations right now. Thinking about quitting. Living on friend's couches. These are artists you know, and who you probably think are doing well for themselves. But of course they will never show this side- their struggles, their deep internal battles, their disappointments- on social media. So please, use streaming to discover artists. Then go the extra (very easy) step and help them make more beautiful music by buying it. Thank you for reading. -SP

The bold highlight is mine and the reason I posted this. I don't know about you but it shakes me the core to see this happening.

GregC, Bob_Ross, Pacman and 2 others like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I do exactly that. I use streaming to find new music. I'll listen once and if I an not astounded I move on. If I like something enough to listen twice I buy it.

In also buy every single song I learn for a gig. I feel that's only fair being that I'm going to make money on their music. The most I ever spent on one gig worth of music was $18. But I don't come cheap for fill-in work so that's sort of factored in.

I average about $30 a month on music. About ten bucks for streaming subscription and a couple albums or a couple dozen songs.

I'm not finger wagging. I'm just sharing what I do.

GregC, Pacman and bholder like this.
  3. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Me too, I like to buy the music I listen to, be it on vinyl, CD or digital download. I do have an Apple Music account, but I keep forgetting to use it. :)

GregC likes this.