from sound to instrument

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wcre, Feb 10, 2005.

1. wcre

Feb 10, 2005
    Nova Scotia
    As I prepare for my upcoming (and first) bass purchase, I'm pretty fickle about brands and instruments models.

I've read a bunch of reviews of various products, but I'm going to give this method a shot instead.

I apologize in advance if I'm repeating some post I failed to find (silly inept me).

What I want from a bass in order of priority:

1) Sound: I'm looking for a warm, smooth, kinda creamy sound. Versatility would also be good, but the aforementioned sound is really what I'm after.

2) Comfort: I may be a strong guy, but that doesn't mean I want to be playing and lugging around a hunk of lead, or having to hold an unbalanced instrument in place.

3) Quality/durability: Sounding great for a week and then falling apart isn't cool.

4) Price range: $500-1000 CAD. (uhh..350-700 USD?)

Any recomendations are highly welcomed, again sorry if I'm beating a dead topic but I figured I might as well use the experienced community as a resource in my search.
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    How about a used Fender MIA Precision (alder witha rosewood board) with flatwound strings?
  3. I say a used MIA Fender Jazz with alder body and rosewood fingerboard, and string it up with nickel roundwounds. That is a pretty classic sound there, and you can use it in pretty much any situation imaginable. The P-bass with flats sound is not all that versatile in my opinion. You can hear it on any Modest Mouse or Cake record (I know there are a million other examples, but that's what I'm actually listening to right now). If you like that, though, go for it. Sounds good to me.
  4. DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    There are so many models out there in that price range that are good'll get the sound from your technique more than anything.........find something comfortable, well built, and that you like the looks of, and worry about the sound (to an extent) later........
  5. If you are just buying your first bass, here's a piece of advice.
    Whatever you buy, buy it with passive electronics if you can.
    You'll save money that way and as you aquire more basses (and sell old ones) you'll still be saving on the money.

Then (important), buy yourself a great outboard pre-amp, like a Sadowsky (expensive, but WORTH IT!). This will give you flexability and strength in tone from even average basses.

Then you will be influenced on the bass you choose by its truer "passive" tone and it's playability. Then you can dial in the warmth with the pre-amp AFTER the fact.

Many people prefer onboard pre-amps because of the convenience...but you should seriously consider both options carefully.

I've read some of the replys to this thread and I feel that they're all valid.

Me...I LOVE p-basses...but obviously they're not for everyone.
  6. Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    Ibanez SGR series. Very good indeed. My first bass (and only) is an SGR 100 and i love it. I can go to a GC and play basses that cost $1000(US) and up and they dont fell as good as my Ibanez. Plus they look cool too. ;)
  7. i agree with the comment about passive basses, i think it gives you more options to tailor your tone after wards without having to install an all new preamp, i almost regret playing an emg equiped bass sometimes. for your price i think an ibanez doens't sound to shabby and they're not too bad basses. alsoe you couild look into schectors if you want to give the active electronics a go, those are some very well made bases for hte money, i preach teh love of schector. i've seen a couple replies for p bass but in my experience i think you get more tonal variety out of a jazz bass, and you can pick up a used mia one cheap or evevn a good knock off. they give you some more options ot work with in my opinion. at taht price range you have a good list of mass produced bass to try out. last and certainly not least, go to your local music store and play man, see what feels good in your hands, the tone you want will come in time when your technique improves. just get what you like, no one can really tell you what bass to play.
  8. RedVette

Jan 1, 2005
    Medford, OR
    I wanted exactly the same things (except price range). The only bass for me was the Rickenbacker 4003. The sound is rich and very "centered" so it penetrates well at low volumes.