Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

From the ashes of my parts bin....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fretlessrock, May 23, 2005.

1. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    [​IMG]

More Pics

I had one of these J Bass bodies that I got second hand but have seen for sale on eBay, and I had a fretless AllParts neck that was looking for a good home, a set pf nameless J pickups, some MIM-style tuners, a decent chrome bridge... A lot of stuff that I wasn't sure where it was going to end up. So instead of parting it out I decided to build it out.

This is very much a quick build. I had finished the body and the headstock with tru-oil about 2 months ago and they had been hanging in my basement since then. I just started pawing through my parts bin and finding stuff that I thought was a good match. I wired it vol-vol, and used a Neutrik locker on the output. A typical set of P-bass knobs fit those CTS solid-shaft pots just fine.

I've since replaced the bridge with an AllParts-Gotoh unit and I've done a few tweaks at the nut, bridge, and a slight shim job. I also shaped a coverplate for the rear-rout out of a bigger control cover and it looks/works fine and gives it a more finished look.

The result plays well, sounds good, and looks presentable. I haven't refinished the output jack area that I had to sand flat with my orbital to make the Neutrik locker sit correctly. It is slated to go out as a loner to a good friend so it might just stay that way for now.

Just thought that I'd share,
    Pete

2. You've got a bigger parts bin than I've got! :bawl:

Pretty bass.

3. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Looks really good for a "scrap" bass. :cool:

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I went through a little fit of buying parts with no real plan, so I had this menagerie of necks, bodies, tuners, bridges... Everything from a mostly complete P-Elite II body (this allparts neck was on the Elite II when I got it), to a shoreline gold Warmoth P body, a NIB set of Gotoh cloverleaf tuners...

I sold off almost everything either assebled or in parts, then made a few other moves because I was not going to build anything as nice as the Zon Sonus 5 fretless that I had my eye on.

I still had this body and neck left over, and I keep a variety of hardware on hand because I do a lot of experimenting, amateur lutherie, repairs, setups... for myself, friends, bandmates, etc...

Some of it is real franken-lutherie like the neck through piccolo thing that I'll post pics of when I finish it up. Some is just fun bolt-on projects like this or my mahagony humbucker tele-clone.

[​IMG]

I have enjoyed the post here in this forum a lot and thought that I would share in what comes out of my basement shop.

5. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've got something like this going. I ended up using the body and neck I had for sale. Earlier today, I bought a loaded control plate from a '75 J-bass reissue, so it's on the way. After a Mighty Mite bridge and hopefully a set of American Jazz pickups, I'll be set. Now if only I can make up my mind about the finish. :smug: