From the Dark Times back into the Light!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Oct 13, 2011.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

You can come back! Perhaps not without damage but, being motivated by one thing can make all the difference.

It's been 2 years since my battle with multiple myeloma began. The pain & damage to my spinal area put me in a wheelchair, I could barely make it to the bathroom let alone walk the dog, or make oatmeal. Imagine being able to sit up but NOT hold your bass on your lap and play a Stooges bass line!

I have many many people to thank between the U of MI cancer center, my wonderful wife of 19 years Anita, the evil Drug companies supplying me essential and effective meds. Music has been a constant motivation, and of course this forum, which has kept me humored, motivated, lusting for gear and to keep on playing & learning. Those things along with the PM's and public notes of encouragement.

It was bleak, I was always hopeful. Frustrated that things didn't heal faster. But, if you're looking at what seems like similar things, don't just hope, find things to keep you interested. Skip the metaphors, just find something to keep YOU going.

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Wow, that's pretty a pretty upbeat and inspiration post right there, thanks for sharing.
    I think that family, friends and a good attitude can get one through just about anything!

3. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Good for you! Here's hoping for a quick and complete recovery.

4. P. Aaron

According to my Docs, I am in 'complete response' but I won't call it remission yet. I still have to take prevention meds and am wrapping up the clinical trial. I am improving.

I can do a club-gig. I have that kind of energy & drive.

Sadly, still trying to find a serious band, that situation has not improved.

5. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    This is the best news I've heard in a while.

Very happy for you!

6. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Great news!

Wish you the best!

7. man, that just makes me shudder to think what you must have been through...

all the best and I hope for continued good news!

davesignatureII.gif

8. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Congratulations! Nice to hear you're on the road to recovery.

However, 'serious' and 'band'.... aren't those mutually exclusive?

;)

9. P. Aaron

See my thread in Band Management about replies to ads I have posted.

To elaborate: I have been in a clinical trial at the U of M backed by big Pharma. They have supplied the necessary medicines that have for me, been mostly effective. I used to get weekly infusions and have to take a series of counter-active drugs to combat some of the reactions. It's a fairly typical thing. My body is the battlefield, occasionally, I take friendly fire casualties.

Getting the energy back is key...along with combating the pain. I can get almost any pain med I want. The problem is, I can get almost any pain med I want. They have their place, but you still want to keep them in perspective. There's the surgical route, which has its own set of mixed results.

It is fun to play again however, walk the dog, just doing stuff, HAVING THE CHOICE to do stuff, a big deal.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    This is wonderful to hear!

11. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I've read some of that, I was just bein' a smart ass; it's a hobby.

That is very cool. I agree, ya never really know what you have until it's taken away. Your experience helps me appreciate just being able to walk, and for that I am grateful to you for reminding me.

Best of luck to you!

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    This reminds me of a Celine Dion song for some reason.

-Mike

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021