1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

From the tree to the body and neck of our Basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkyMan, May 3, 2010.

1. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm not a intense environmentalist or anything like that, I have simply been curious to know in depth, how manufacturers obtain raw materials, or wood for their products i mean, some have their own land or tree crops? or they buy from dealers only? and if ever these companies have been involved in any instance of environmental damage? (I hope not) who have this information? any link? Thanks

2. xjeremiahx

xjeremiahx

Apr 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    No longer a slave to GC.
    There was an article in Guitar Aficianato(sp?) about Bob Taylor and how he goes out and inspects a lot(or some, who knows really) of their wood they get for all their guitars & basses. They showed him go out to see the raw logs being brought in by the truck load, and then the whole process from the logs to the planks, to the pieces, shapes, drying, etc etc to guitar. kind of a cool article. I'm sure there's a LOT more regulation & brand involvement in the wood process after Gibson got in all their hot water for the Rosewood they were getting.

3. t0t0m

t0t0m

Dec 8, 2008
    any link(s) to the articles?

4. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    This will get you started;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Forestry_Congress
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardwood_timber_production
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumber#See_also

5. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I'd think Laguna has a good business model everytime someone buys one of their instruments they plant a tree. I think every guitar/drum company should do this.

6. Although that sounds nice and puppy-dog/kitty fuzzy, I don't like the idea of guitars and other wood-type instruments getting nicked another fee that will never get to the trees anyway.

There may be a good social/eco/impact/footprint/green reason, as it appears on the surface, but really if there were enforcement of laws already on the books and could actually curtail people from burning down vast timber lands to plant some yams or drug producing plants in the jungle, I'd be more inclined to go with that program.

But - yeah - in a perfect world <place your opinion here>

7. Nerotic

Nerotic Guest

Sep 17, 2008
    A danish equivalent to GC has it's own line of budget guitars and basses, and those instruments are entirely made from FSC certified wood. Meaning that the wood is under strict regulation to prevent deforrestation and the suppliers are obligated to ensure that new trees are planted to replace those that are cut down.

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Every time you buy an instrument from me, I'll go put an apple seed in my backyard (I live in the desert).

On the surface, they are exactly the same.

Just something to think about.

9. I'm thinking that the PR nightmare that would accompany the discovery of said guitar company's mismanagement of the tree planting promise would ensure that they do it right.

10. Andrew311

Andrew311

Aug 13, 2009
    Hutchinson, MN
    I read somewhere that Warwick monitored their wood from the seed all the way through the drying process. To me that sounds like they probably own there own nurseries. It seems like it would be a good idea at least. I know that they buy entire trees at a time so that's good I guess..

11. xjeremiahx

xjeremiahx

Apr 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    No longer a slave to GC.
    Laguna's are actually priced MUCH lower than your big shots as far as bands go. Somethin to think about...

valid point, but they're based out of CA, so I think their effort to growing trees there may yield better results than planting apple seeds in the desert :)