1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

From the you gotta know someone to get this job files

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by onlyoneZ, Apr 8, 2010.

1. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36278625/?gt1=43001

COPENHAGEN - Scores of Carlsberg workers walked off their jobs in protest Thursday after the Danish brewer tightened laid-back rules on workplace drinking and removed beer coolers from work sites, a company spokesman said.

The warehouse and production workers in Denmark are rebelling against the company's new alcohol policy, which allows them to drink beer only during lunch hours in the canteen. Previously, they could help themselves to beer throughout the day, from coolers placed around the work sites.

The only restriction was "that you could not be drunk at work. It was up to each and everyone to be responsible," company spokesman Jens Bekke said.

Carlsberg had mulled a stricter drinking policy for years and finally decided to impose the new rules on April 1, prompting protests from the staff.

Bekke said around 800 workers went on strike Wednesday and around 250 walked off their jobs Thursday, resulting in interruptions to beer transports in and around Copenhagen.

Carlsberg's truck drivers joined the strike in sympathy — even though they are exempt from the new rules, Bekke said. The truck drivers are permitted to bring three beers from the canteen because they often don't have time to have lunch there.

The trucks have alcohol ignition locks preventing the drivers from driving drunk, he added.

:eek:

2. Walking away from a job because you can only drink on your breaks is pretty dumb.

3. shackled

shackled

Jun 25, 2009
    Western NY
    I used to live in Germany.
    They'd probably walk off, too. ;)

4. Not nearly as cool, but we used to have Margarita Friday at my office.

Mike

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I used to have a boss that would force me to take breaks so we could "smoke out" :ninja:

6. I still like the new rules.

lowsound

7. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    No kidding...but wait. Are anyone other than tasters allowed to drink on company time at a U.S. Budweiser factory? Hmmmm :confused:

8. shackled

shackled

Jun 25, 2009
    Western NY
    Budweiser isn't a U.S. company anymore. :meh:

9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Weird...but the question still stands. Can they drink? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Also...can you drink on company time at ANY Danish company? You know? The cheesery, the wooden clog factory, the place where they bake the danishes...:p

10. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I'm pretty sure you can't drink on the job at Budweiser plants. They used to get a good amount of free beer each month, but since InBev stepped in a lot of their rules have tightened up. My girlfriend's dad works at a plant so I know a few details, but I haven't really asked about many others.

11. You see, how it works is like this. They get to eat cheese at the Cheesery, free clogs at the wooden clog factory, and free danishes at the danish factory. Now the condom factory...

12. I did my machinist apprenticeship at a Swiss company. Those guys drank wine all day long. I usually waited until late in the day and my evenings where never very productive :D

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The sad thing is, they lose a lot of good word-of-mouth publicity because of this, and I think it's mostly done to save a few bucks by the company. One or two free beers per workday sounds like a good benefit in any company, I bet it brought in a lot of workers who wouldn't had joined the team otherwise.

14. i hate username

i hate username

Jan 9, 2006
    Probably wasn't costing enough to bother doing it for that reason tbh (how much is the actual manufacture cost of those beers? Remember there are absolutely no shipping costs and probably no taxation on those beers considering they are not being sold or even moving out of the factory)

More likely just trying to be p.c.

15. Bud isn't beer.

lowsound

16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    The windmill repair shop, the tulip nursery...

17. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    The quarry where they collect materials to build leaky dikes, that apparently can only be plugged by children's fingers.

18. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    My first thought was that it was an April Fools Joke gone horribly wrong:

19. billhilly66

billhilly66

Aug 25, 2007
    Plano, TX
    What, no drinking at work? I'd walk off too or maybe sneak a flask or something. The nerve of those guys!