1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

From vintage to modern...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Boombass76, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Boombass76

Boombass76 Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    BassCollect Blog & Shop (founder)
    Hey all, I have had quite a few basses over the years, and I was wondering which one's were more vintage or modern, so I decided to do a list.

Please note that this is not meant to turn into some kind of 'vintage VS modern - which is better' topic :)

However, there are many basses I haven't tried, so please feel free to post your take on a list including brands like Roscoe, Alembic, Lull, Modulus, etc. And to comment on my list, of course. I guess it's a very subjective topic - what I find vintage sounding/feeling, may be a whole different story to the next bassist :)

OK, here goes - from vintage to modern, IMO:

- Fender
    - Musicman (SR/Sabre)
    - Celinder (Update/Vintage series)
    - Atelier Z
    - Alleva Coppolo
    - Lakland
    - Sandberg
    - Sadowsky (not 'Modern 24')
    - Traben
    - Celinder (Custom)
    - Mørch
    - Yamaha (TRB)
    - MTD
    - Ken Smith

I also have Rob Allen Mouse, but that is hard to compare in this context. It's a modern sound, of course, but completely different from other modern basses, such as MTD and Ken Smith.

...so how about: G&L, Sadowsky (modern 24), Musican (Bongo), Roscoe, Zon, Fodera, Lull, Dingwall, Benavente, Nordstrand/Nordy, Elrick, Steinberger, Conklin, Alembic, Modulus, Warwick, etc., etc...? How vintage/moders are they IYO?

2. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    I honestly think that is overly simplistic because within many of those brands are basses that can cover quite a bit of the spectrum from vintage to modern so it is virtually impossible to pigeonhole them to one flavor.

3. Boombass76

Boombass76 Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    BassCollect Blog & Shop (founder)
    Yeah, I partly agree, but that was why I separeted e.g. 'Celinder Update' from 'Celinder Custom' and specified thet by Yamaha I referred to a 'TRB'. BUT I so think you can say that, in general, MTD is very modern sounding basses, and I should probably have specified that I referred to a 55-02 Lakland. A passive JO probably has a more vintage kinda vibe. Also when putting Fender at the beginning of the list, I think of the classic, passive P's and J's that represent the vintage vibe many others aim to copy. I know that Fender makes many modern basses as well. :)