From where do you steal your solo?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Player, Jul 25, 2000.

1. Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    I was wondering if anybody had any great licks that they steal for solos. When we do "Miss You" (Stones) I throw the little solo from "Show Don't Tell" in the break. Just move the root up to D on the second lick and then throw in the intro to "Fear is Never Boring" to end it. Got any other good licks I could steal?

2. DaveTomasi

DaveTomasi Gold Supporting Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland

I believe that this topic fits best in the Miscellaneous Category. Please look for it there.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    1)I don't solo...(kan't).
    2)My grooves(yecchhh)have been labeled "solos" by the uninformed; so, some food for thought from a non-soloing putz- 'bout heads from Bebop tunes?
    Or, cartoon/TV themes(or somehow an integration of the two?).

...Thanks, Paul, for the heads-up on that Sanborn album!
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Borrow from folk tunes, both U.S. and foreign, gospel music and hymns, classical music (NutCracker Suite, Peter the Wolf, Chopin, Bach, Beethoven), traditional blues, field hollers, 50s pop rock (Presley, Holly, Barry, Bill Hailey), national anthems, marching music (Souza), squaredance music, nursery rhymes( Ring Around the Rosey), lullabyes, cajun and Creole, Stephen Foster, TV and movie themes, baseball park music, carnival music, hippie & flower child music, Latin pop (Macarena, Livin' La Vida Loca, Mambo Numero Cinco), Disco favorites (Donna Sumer),broadway show tunes, and pro wrestlers' entrance themes. Whew! What else?

I forgot, Dixieland Jazz, Chicago Blues, Parker, Davies, Coltrane, Ellington, Goodman, most popular war music from WWii and WW 1. That ought to keep you in solos for a few years. Have fun! Jason Oldsted
  5. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ed Fuqua:
    I try to make them up in my head...

Alright Ed! Me too!
    Hey I got that Mark Levine book in the mail yesterday. Jeez! I now have my life's work in front of me.

6. heres a solo i have that i love. i play some stuff real low on the e, then i start moving my fingers around the e string, getting higher each time around. after a little bit then WHAM!! i go lightnin fast on the g and d strings just rippin it all out. now if my band lets me play it live is another thing....

The official John Turner wannabe
  7. I like to steal licks from horn players. The usual suspects being Miles, Cannonball, Sonny Rollins, Dexter Gordon, Joe Henderson and recently Stanley Turrentine.

8. Throwing little bits of Entwistle's solo on My Generation into stuff is just about subconcious for me now.