From Whom Would You Like to See an Amplifier Developed???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jun 15, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

Jerry J and i were emailing back and forth, and he mentioned how Mark at Accugroove was thinking about making a head to go along with his terrific line of cabs, and then went on to comment on who else might or should build their own cabs or amps.

SO, might as well throw this out to the amp "crazy go nuts" community and ask, what maker do you wish would make an amp for your cabs??? or vice versa???

one wish came true with Nick developing the Epifani line, but i'd love to see a head from Andy at Acme sound.

what about y'all?
  2. Yeah man, would love to hear an ACME head.

What about yamaha? I heard whisperings from NAMM about a bass head, but no one fron Yammy Australia can tell me anything.
  3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder

Heck man, your speaking my language. You need to check out the LowEnd Preamp that I designed with Les Plopa (Eng the Kern). Les actually just called the other day and is starting work back on the unit so I should have two proto-types for NAMM. There is a Small Tube pre and the big Tube pre. Its all based on Audiophile tech. All Tube with Gain & Master Volume and Tone on the Big unit. Dual tube 1/4 outputs with Tube DI. The Small unit is just a single tube 1/4 out and DI and one Master volume. Both are all point to point.

I've already got the first proto-type small unit and its wonderful. All I been using at the shop. Simple and great tube warmth with no eq.
  4. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    How much would one of the big tube preamps cost, and how do they rate with the Kern? I'm very interested in this idea...
  5. from what i hear about ACME cabs they should produce a head or preamp at least..not coloring the sound at all
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh no you didn'! OH NO YOU DIDN'!!!!! :eek:

cant wait to hear more about it!
  7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I think that Jim Bergantino would be the likely candidate to put out one killer amp. Doesn't he have a background in high-end hifi designs prior to entering the bass speaker market? I've been extremely impressed with what I've heard out of the Bergantino speakers although I haven't had the opportunity to hear the new NV series or the 322.

I was just mentioning (rumor-mill) that Accugroove would be likely to put out an amp. More just rumblings than anything. Mark has come up with some highly innovative ideas with his speaker designs so he would likely be the one who would push the technology ahead of what the current offerings are. I doubt he would even consider doing an amp unless he could put out something that was quite a bit more than a "me too" amp. So if Accugroove is ever planning on putting out a head it would probably way off in the future and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.
  8. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i'll second the nomination of Jim Bergantino for " killer amp " design candidate . :D
    from what i've read , he does have hi-fi audio experience , and this would be a match made in bass heaven !! :cool:
  9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    From my dealings with Andy @ Acme I dont think he will ever do anything but make speakers. Hes a very particular guy and I think his background is in physics.

I dont know who I would like to see attempt it but I would like to see a true-to-vintage remake of the venerable SVT.
  10. YES!
    that would be just great
    some of the best amps i´ve played through had just a few basic knobs
    less knobfiddling=more bassplaying
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wuzup JJ? yup, jimmy B would make a killer amp. heck, if its 1/2 as good as his speakers, i'm sure it'd still rock socks.

try Fred T. at

he makes some MEAN guitar amps for every other session kid in LA, and does his own version of the SVT which i heard from other peeps is phenomenal.
  12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    From Whom Would You Like to See an Amplifier Developed???

Britney Spears (only for the all-but-certain comic value) :D
  14. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Ah, but she's a world-class physics maven you know:
    Britney Explains Quantum Physics

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    One more for Jim Bergantino!
  16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Mmmmmm Laetitia soldering tube sockets (*instert drooling smiley here*) .... Good call Ed!

is that going to be a stomp boxish, outboardish non-rack case? If so, put me down for one of the first run!!! :bassist:
  17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
  18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

19. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
  20. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    This thread strikes me as odd. We're talking about guys who are speaker designers, and speculating that they would make great amplifiers. We're speculating that if we like their approach to speaker design, it would translate into amp design. While the amp and cabinet are a system, it's a deep well and may involve electrical engineering skills!