Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Front & back panel closeups for Demeter VTBP-201S?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sizz, Sep 29, 2002.

1. sizz

sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    Hey all,

I've searched through just about every Demeter post I can find here, but I haven't found a detailed explanation and/or closeup pictures of the front & back panels of a Demeter VTBP-201S. Anyone care to provide closeup pics or just maybe give me a rundown of the front & back controls? I have searched the web (including Demeter's website) & I still can't find much. I am considering this preamp & would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks!

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own that pre. I don't have any closeup pics but I'd be happy to describe the front and back. What specifically do you want to know beyond what's on the Demeter site?

3. sizz

sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    Thanks boogiebass...

I mainly wanted to know what all of the front panel in/out switches were for. I know that there is a mute switch, a switch for f/x loop in/out, & maybe a bright switch, but I think there's at least one more that I'm not sure about. As far as the back panel goes, I assume that it's identical to the back of an HBP-1 but I could be wrong...:)

I'd like to try one of these units out, but I'm not aware of a dealers in the Cincinnati area. I would basically have to purchase the unit to see how it sounded with my setup. I play mostly rock (classic, alternative, and hard) so I'm wondering if the Demeter is a good choice, as I've heard that it is a very clean preamp but sometimes too clean for driving rock. Do you care to offer a personal opinion on the unit that you own? I'm just looking for feedback at this point. Thanks for your help!

current rig: Lakland 55-01 (maple neck)->SWR SM-500->DBX Compressor (in f/x loop)->Epifani T-212

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    There's also a presence switch with selectable frequency. I think you've nailed the rest of the front panel pretty well.

Yeah, the back is essentially the same as the HBP-1, I believe. Two 1/4" outs, tuner out, XLR out. The XLR is mic level.

I play alot of Classic Rock myself and find the 201 to be a good choice. It's definitely got a tubey vibe but, yeah, it's pretty clean...which is what I'm after. Sounds very good into the Stewart 2.1 driving my Bergantino cabs.

5. sizz

sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    Thanks boogiebass...

I mainly wanted to know what all of the front panel in/out switches were for. I know that there is a mute switch, a switch for f/x loop in/out, & maybe a bright switch, but I think there's at least one more that I'm not sure about. As far as the back panel goes, I assume that it's identical to the back of an HBP-1 but I could be wrong...:)

I'd like to try one of these units out, but I'm not aware of a dealers in the Cincinnati area. I would basically have to purchase the unit to see how it sounded with my setup. I play mostly rock (classic, alternative, and hard) so I'm wondering if the Demeter is a good choice, as I've heard that it is a very clean preamp but sometimes too clean for driving rock. Do you care to offer a personal opinion on the unit that you own? I'm just looking for feedback at this point. Thanks for your help!

current rig: Lakland 55-01 (maple neck)->SWR SM-500->DBX Compressor (in f/x loop)->Epifani T-212

6. sizz

sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    whoops...

I posted twice! Thanks again for your advice boogiebass... I'll let ya' know what I decide on.:)

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The two switches are presence freq. (2k or 4k) and bass freq (60hz or 120 hz)

There is no mute.

There is no switch for FX in and out.

On the back panel there is a ground lift for the XLR out, and eq in/out for the XLR.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Might wanna check that again, amigo! :D Mine definitely has a mute switch (201S as opposed to the older three-space 201).

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    My older unit is 1 1/2 spaces.There are four switches on the front panel. The power switch (on and off, duh) presence frequency (2k or 4k), bass frequency (60hz or 120 hz) and a bright switch. I have one of the older units. I haven't seen the newer model, so AFAIK some things may be different.

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Dig. I have the older 201. Sorry for the confusion.

And there is a bright switch. I just never use it.

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Your soundmen will love the XLR out on the Demeter pre!

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    just to add,

the HBP has an unbalanced 1/4", and a balanced 1/4" as well as an XLR DI feed. the VTBP only has the two unbalanced 1/4" outs, and XLR DI feed.

also, the HBP doesnt have a deep or brite switch. instead it has the parametric mids and lows EQ.

13. sizz

sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    Kick A$$...

Thanks everyone! Now I just have to sell my SWR SM-500 & I should be good to go on the Demeter purchase (though I'm not sure which one yet).:)

Check the classifieds here for my SM-500 or http://www.bassgear.com. I'm trying the bass-related sites before I go to Ebay. Thanks

14. Joker,
    I just order a VTBP201s and the site does not say what output complement the unit has. At least I didn't detect that. You stated that it has two unbalanced outputs. I assume that will be no problem running into my QSC 2402 PLX as long as it's a short run to the amp. Not to sound to ignorant her but why the two unbal outs? Is it because you can use it for stereo or to another amp or mixer? I though you only needed one. Doh :eek:

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Big String.......the Demeter has one of the best balanced outs there is........soundmen will love it!!

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nah, dont worry, you'll be golden. :D

17. Can somebody confirm this please?

If so, that means this preamp does not offer a balanced (XLR) out for use with balanced crossovers or balanced power amps.

I need a balanced out that is LINE level, not MIC level.

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Call Demeter. That's what they told me on the phone. Since I don't use that output, I've had no occasion to test it.

19. I got an email back from Demeter earlier today about preamp output voltage (20v rms) and gain (46dB).

I asked for a PDF of this preamp with more tech details than what is available on the web site. I'd like to see a drawing of the controls, back panel, and more specific info on the specs.

20. Evidently Demeter converted to OS X and lost a bunch of their files, including the PDF of the user manual.

Maybe Apple should run THAT one as one of their commercials...

:D

Does anybody have a PDF of the user manual they can email to me?