Front End, Effects Chain Order.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stompfrog, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Hello all !

The time has come to bin the GT6-B and build a real effects board.

I have an effect loop from my amp with bf-2b flanger, ce-2b bass chorus, dd-20 delay which i am reasonably happy with.

I am currently trying to work out an order for my front end effects. what order would you suggest positioning the following effects:

md-2 distortion (im saving for the mammoth)
    lm-2b limiter
    geb-7 EQ

All suggestions welcome as i cannot work out what to do.

many thanks

2. Well you have two choices both will yield good yet different sounds:

Choice no. 1 Bass -- GE7---DISTORTION----- LIMITER

Choice no. 2: Bass DISTORTION--- GE7--------LIMITER

Thats what i would do but im sure there are other ways but that is best in my opinion
  3. Can you explain why the limiter goes at the end?

I thought that the limiter made everything the same volume. In which case shouldnt you get the sound even and put the limiter first before applying all sorts of effects??

I'm guessing that there is a good reason for your suggestion and i am not trying to argue I am just curious of your reasons.

thanks for the post
  4. Well if it was a compressor then yes first in line would be my choice, but as a limiter it may be better placed after the distortion so you dont send too much signal to the input of your amp.
  5. Makes sense. i tried it with:

bass----dist---eq----lim and it sounds wicked. this is through crappy PC speakers as well! looking forward to going to the practice room tomorrow.

Only got the EQ pedal today. It is really good.

thanks for your help!
  6. Yep that sounds the best order, as some distortion pedals suck out your low bass a bit, the eq pedal can add a bit back and maybe cut a bit of treble if its a bit harsh.