1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Front Man that Doesn't Sing?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Baird6869, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Please help me with this.... I am in a great 3 piece band with a couple of amazing musicians that aren't the most outgoing people. I play bass but have a singing voice that is brutal so I do zero vocals.

Public speaking is part of my day job, so I am good talking to large groups.

Does anyone front a band (talk between songs basically) and not sing at all?

Keep in mind that I am in a cover band playing in bars, I am not Jaco or Wooten!:smug:

2. RyRob813

RyRob813

Jun 7, 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    Nothing wrong with that at all. The last band I was in, (3 piece,) had an awesome guitarist/singer, but he had very little public speaking skills whatsoever. A good front man will get all the information about the band across numerous times loud and clear during a set, i.e. song names, band name, web site/myspace address, upcomming gigs, ect., keep the crowd entertained and excited between songs, and have a lot of charisma when playing as well.

A great example of this is Lars Fredericksen of Rancid. Idk if you're into punk or Rancid, but reguardless, Tim Armstrong is the "face", originator, and basically main guy in the band, but Lars does all the talking between songs. Now he also sings, but but the point is he's not the head hauncho.

IMO, as long as the person talking is doing all the rights things mentioned in the above, it doesn't matter what instrument their playing or stage position their holding, I've even seen some groups with a drummer for a front man?!?! Above all, just make sure if you're going to take over talking to have it clearly established with the rest of the group as to not have any confusion or talking over on stage= BAD LOOK

3. *Raises hand

Our singer/guitarist is very good at what he does, which does not include talking with the crowd. I generally do almost all the talking, and getting people to come see us. It works out well for everyone.

4. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    not to say you are wrong... But lars IS rancid these days. tim does nothing but show up, and thats only physically....

Haven't you noticed over the last 5 years or so they have been cutting his songs way back in their live shows and giving lars and matt most of the vox?

Just one mans opinion. but Lars he is the head honcho.

5. Check out the band fall out boy, The bassist is the front man of that band and he hardly sings.

6. RyRob813

RyRob813

Jun 7, 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    You are right there...but what I meant to say was that when they first started out Tim was the face of the band, and Lars just naturally flowed into that position through their live gigs...his charisma on stage is way better and it just sort of happened

7. Same here. I´ve always been the frontman in our band, even though we´ve had couple of different lead singers over the years. I find it funny how many singers totally choke out when they are supposed to say something on stage. I would think it would be peanuts compared to the attention and scrutiny they get when singing but I guess it´s different game.

Aside from speaking, I also act as kind of musical leader on stage: I call all the cues and ad lib repeats and make on-the-go changes to the setlist when I see fit. And did I mention I also act as a sound tech on smaller gigs... Sometimes it becomes a bit overbearing, it would be nice to just relax and concentrate fully on my own playing once in a while. But OTOH I guess I´m a bit of control freak on stage and like to be in charge.

8. i guess this makes scuurvy have 3 frontmen.
    myself, one of our guitarists and our singer all do things like introduce the songs and tell the crowd to say arrrr.

though myself and the guitarist also do backing vocals.

9. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I sing lead and mostly lead the bands I play in too, but I prefer leaving the talking between songs to some other guy in the band. At the moment, I play with a guitarist that also is an actor and he sure does that part better than me. :)

10. richardjones89

richardjones89

Jun 6, 2007
    yeah, i agree with all the others on this. a frontman isnt always the singer, it can be anyone in the band. though most popular bands leave the fronting to the singer hence the reason why theyre the only memebers most people know when you mention bands :p unless you play the same instrument to the other members...

even though i am the bassist of my band, i would love to be able to front the band and sing also. though practicalities may be that the roles are split.

11. rhp335

rhp335

Aug 3, 2006
    Kansas City
    I have the same situation, the guitar players do 95% of the singining but have zero stage presence, so I do most the between song patter...I call it DJ'ing, if I called it being the frontman it would impact their egos.

12. Denial54

Denial54

Jan 26, 2007
    I'm in a 3 person band and we dont have a singer or lead man at all, we just play at small gigs and a few larger shows. But we are still in high school and have really good musicians in our band. Anyone else have a band like this

13. Cactusgrant

Cactusgrant

Jul 27, 2006
    Zappa.

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Great tip. I told my band this and they agreed I should "DJ"!!! I thought it would be an issue as I just joined the band 3 months ago and they have been playing together for years.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021