'Front Page' feat. Dominique Di Piazza

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Jul 1, 2004.

1. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Finally managed to pick up a copy of 'Front Page' today (found it in Ray's Jazz, London). I've moved away from "fusion" lately, but I'd read some good things about this album and the bassist, Dominique Di Piazza.

What a GREAT album! No filler here. The opening harmonics on 'Intro Jingle' made my jaw drop!

Just wanted to give this album a thumbs up and recommend it to anyone who like good guitar trio records.
  2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Dominique Di Piazza is a great player!! I don't know how Dennis Chambers finds the time for all these projects. In the liner notes for the album they mention how everybody recorded their parts separately, and then they put them together.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Dominique is indescribable, the most fascinating player today IMO.
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've often wondered if there are more than one Dennis Chambers. :p
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Great album-I got it several months ago by JMX's suggestion. I only wish it would play in my CD player-it only plays in my computer, and my computer speakers are mostly shot :(
  6. I've posted on this CD a while ago. I listen to it every now and then and it still blows me away. What an incredible display of talent by all 3 musicians.

Definite recommend to ALL!
  7. Totally and utterly agree with you on that - I just wish he had more exposure - his website is really crappy and it's frustrating that there so little available on his obviously unique, and incredible, techniques and musical abilities - please get a DVD dude! His way with chords and arpeggios is just incredible - i'd love to see how he physically plays that stuff - plus his bass is tuned <b>EADGC</b> right?

I've loved what he's been doing for a long time, like a lot of others, and I think the 'Front Page' album is one of the finest 'fusion' records I've heard in a long time - Bireli Lagrene blows me away as well - his chops are just sublime and devastatingly difficult! And The Chambers - what can you say - another outstanding performance by him.

BTW I thought the album was recorded live - someone up there mentioned that they did their parts seperately - but I think you migt be confused with the Greg Howe CD with Wooten and Chambers on - that was the way they recorded that. Maybe I'm wrong...!
  8. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The liner notes in my copy just say "recorded at Studio Recall Pompignan, France, January 17-19, 2000".

If they did record their parts separately, this album would be an even more remarkable achievement!
  9. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Good album for those into the Steve Khan/Eyewitness band era with Dennis Chambers or some of the Gary Willis/Dennis Chambers thingees or some of Jaco's stuff...

I would hope they recorded this album together.
  11. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Killer record!!!!!!!! it's been on constant rotation for months now.
  12. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK

New things that might be of interest to Di Piazza fans:

www.dominiquedipiazza.com - Finally, a professional-looking official site. It loads in French, but clicking the British flag will switch the site to English mode. There are a few RealAudio musical tips from Dominique. His schedule shows that in 2005 he is playing/recording as part of an all-bass trio that also includes Michael Manring! :eek:

Plus, here is a review of a new album that Di Piazza is the bassist on:
  13. Excellent work David - I'll check it all out - Di Piazza blows my mind...
  14. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Now that I am on my PC at home, I have noticed that his RealAudio musical advice is all in French. I will try to get around to writing up a translation if anyone wants it.

The musical samples on his site are excellent. 'Little Rose' = :eek:
  15. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    dominique is a great musician!
  16. English version of DdP site... "Domain Name Expired" ???

I sure hope this gets sorted out.
  17. What a great cd!!! Still in rotation on my car...
  18. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Just got Front Page yesterday and have listened to it back to back since I opened the package...OMG!

It inspires me in only a way that only Bright Size Life, any Avishai Cohen, Soul Machine, Spaces (revisited) Brad Mehldau, any David Fiuczynski, Wayne Krantz and Trilok could...

19. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I often listen to some tracks of this album... great stuff! Chambers, DiPiazza and Lagrene are great musicians.
  20. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Wow...I do a search on "Di Piazza" and find out he's on an album with these two guys? Can't wait to check it out!