Front page poll about ear prtection; what did you vote?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Nov 19, 2002.

1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Just wondering? i checked the 'always' section as my ears seem really weak so i wear plugs at every practice and gig i go to, gigs often accompanied by a hood or hat (yeah fashion got the better of me:( )
  2. Always. Come close to ear damage.. never again.

3. I said always. It's insane if you don't wear em. I don't know about others, but personally, I'd like to hear things when I'm 25.
  4. I voted yes - all the time!

For the past 6 months or so I have been wearing ear protection at all practices and even gigs I've gone to.

I wear them for biking, but I just use the foam dispoosable ones when I'm out on the bike - they cut down the wind noise round my lid and everything else well enough.

For practicing and gigs I wear ER-20s - they let me hear everythign but still protect my hearing to a good extent!
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Always - ER15's rule - I swear I can hear better (in high volume situations) with them it than without.

7. I don't know how anyone could play at high volume without professional earplugs.
  8. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    yeah, I know... dumb question, and I will be berated for not wearing them, which I never wear any plugs. We keep our rehearsals at a low volume, and our live shows aren't that loud stage-wise... but just in case!

How well can you hear around these plugs? I am concerned that I won't be able to hear what my bandmates are doing...

second question, anyone got any handy online resources for where to find some pro plugs?

9. You'll be amazed at how the sound IMPROVES while wearing good earplugs (not the foam stuff).

I don't always use them at rehearsal, but on stage I do. Stage sound is always hell and ear plugs improve it somewhat.
  10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I use the ones that Mike Dimin sells from his site. They work VERY well. Not as nice as having things at reasonable volume with no plugs, but much better when things get loud!
  11. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    i second the vote for the ER-20s. i just got a pair of them in and used them for the first time at practice last night. we practice really loud to simulate what it is like on stage as much as possible and i have to say that they are well worth the 13 bucks that i paid for them. i can hear every little detail of the music just at a lower volume. MUCH better than the foam ones i was using.
  12. I got some of Dimin's ear plugs. They work great, only I can't get used to them when I'm singing. I do backups, and with the plugs in...all I hear is the voice in my head. They're great for just playing though. I'm in an acoustic rock band, so our stage volume is relativly low anyway. But our drummer wears his every gig. Good for him!
  13. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I would have voted "From now on!".

I went to see Motorhead monday night and came out with my hearing seriously messed up. Couldn't hear anything but rumbling lows and distorted, metallic highs (painful!). It was like I had a glass jar over my head - all sounds were oscillating and "under-water"-like.

It lasted for several hours before it started to get better, and now a couple of days later things are more or less back to normal. But man was I scared!

The concert was loud, but I've been to many loud concerts, rehersals and gigs, and I've never eperienced anything remotely like this before. It was a warning, and I'm gonna listen to it - while I can... :eek:

14. Well I ordered sets for our band through Mike Dimin! When we first used them in the studio the difference was amazing! No temporary tinitis aftre the practise! I also found it weird at first, but am now OK with singing (backing vocals) while wearing them.

One novelty thatwe found was that after we stared wearing them, we all suddenly noticed that the bass drum pedal squeaked. Without the earplugs we'd never noticed that over everything else!
  15. I think it's quite scary to see how many people don't use them. In this poll at this time it's 37% who don't use them and 22% that already have hearing problems. At least that's what they've voted...
    I always wear earprotection, the yellow foam version, but I've been cursed with very mild tinnitus anyway and I don't know the reason. At least I'm lucky I only hear it when I'm trying to go to sleep and I've got kind of used to it.

Does anybody know how the research in tinnitus is going? Are they coming up with a way to cure or reduce it yet?
  16. Kung Fu

Kung Fu

Oct 18, 2002
    Bath, UK
    Your doctor can prescribe medicine to reduce it.

Check out this site: