1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Front Panel Metal Muff Mod

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Joe P, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I discovored something with my new Metal Muff which may be of help: The Top Boost control has one, single position on it that fairly transforms the feel of the pedal.

It's near the full-CCW position; around 8:30 or so. To find it, you turn up the gain for plenty of highs, then 'tune it like a radio'. Below this knob position there's 'one sort of treble', and above the position, another. But there's that one spot (it's not a SUPER-touchy adjustment) inwhich the whole character of the tone changes appreciably. This is, of course, with the Top Boost ENGAGED.

This new character I'm talking about holds with the adjustment of all the other controls. It's like a 'different pedal' to some extent.

Joe

2. no clips = no mod ;)

also, i absolutely hated the metal muff, i wanted to love it so much, i actually liked the tone alot but it just dissappeared as soon as anyone else started playing, i felt the EQ was very powerful but in the wrong frequencies for bass. How is it for you? You get it to stand up to a band mix?
    i sold mine to the guitarist in my old band, then the other guitarist bought one too. great pedal, shame i couldnt get it to work for me :(

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh-oh: busted. I have NOT played it in a band mix yet.

Last time I played with others - Electric guitar and drum set - I remember being amazed once again that the treble knob on the ODB goes way up around around 2:00 in a band situation, yet sounds nearly over-the-top buzzsaw already at 12:00 when I practice alone (for those of you not familiar with the ODB-3: 2:00 is a LOT treblier than noon).

Lately I've been concentrating on studying distortion tone characters. I use the LS-2 to A/B different units. Lately it's been comparing Diesel Dawg to Metal Muff.

Notice, though, that I still have been bring my trusty MD-2/CEB-3/ODB-2 combination to my occasional band situations. (enough of this 'occasional' stuff anyway; I'm joining a BAND again soon. This solo-thing has been cool, but...)

Joe