Front pickup cover

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by chris h, Jul 30, 2002.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I am thinking of adding one to my beloved jazz bass. Thing is, unless I just buy one, I wont know what they are like to play with. I have tried a vintage jazz with one on but the whole bass felt alien and I could not be sure unless I order one and secure it with Blue-Tac (TM) temporarily, before screwing. (Scerwing it onto my bass you filthy lot).

So what do y'all think of 'em? Will i still be able to play pinch harmonics (touching vibrating string with side of right hand momentailrly to sound harmonic - I usually do this just over the front pickup)?

Thanks for your comments which continually inspire and provoke the spending of cash!
  2. Well Chris, you've answered your own question here. It ain't magic. You'll lose about a 6" area available for pinch harmonics with a front pup cover. Now, before everybody reminds me that a pup cover isn't 6" long - keep in mind that for these harmonics, one plucks behind the fingered harmonic point. The 3" or so of missing string space where the cover is eliminates both pinching and plucking there. 3" of pinch and 3" of pluck is 6" or so.
  3. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Yes I guess so.. Well thanks for your help mate. they just look so nifty!
  4. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It's true that you lose a significant amount of playing area. Under normal circumstances, I play anywhere from right over the front pick up to about 1/2-inch to the rear of the front pick up. Thus, the cover gets in my way.

I put the cover on any way because I think it looks very cool and gives the bass that vintage look. I work my playing around the cover when I play that particular bass. It's not my main bass, so I don't mind.
  5. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    it's also a neat armrest for slappin'!