Front ported Avatar's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Razor, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Well, Dave was true to his word when he told me a month or so ago, that the majority of the cab's were going to be front ported.
    Checked out the site this morning and they're all front ported now (except the compact 1x15 and 1x12). Looks really great and I'll be dropping some cash on a couple of new front ported 1x15's. The new 2x12 looks really nice as well. Just my .02.
    Wanted all the Avatar lovers to be aware of the update to the cab's.
  2. I think Avatar is responding (nicely) to marketing pressure. Too many buyers have it in their minds that rear porting is bad or less effective. It is easier to change the porting location than re-educate the public, so Avatar is doing the right thing.

FWIW, there are advantages to front porting, when the cabinet rear is placed against a wall, and would otherwise block the port.
  3. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Yep....Dave & Co. have got their stuff together. That's for sure.
  4. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Just think B410 on top of a B212 loaded with the dela 12 LFs ..... staggers..... oh yeah :D

Death to poodles :p
  5. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    ...true--I have rarely been in a situation with my cab pushed back against a wall where it would have a negative effect on my sound (since mine is rear ported;) ). I'm sure Dave had so many "requests" for it that it just made since in the long run.
  6. There is another item to consider, and that is the frequency of tuning.

Avatar is (finally) publishing the tuning frequency of their cabs. For example, the 410 model is tuned at 65 Hz. Sound waves are much more directional at 65 Hz than at 30 Hz.

I'll wager a cab reproducing a 30 Hz sine wave outdoors on a soccer field won't measure any difference whether it is facing toward the mic, or 180 degrees away from the mic. Same for the port being on the front (mic) side or the rear. I'll also wager measuring a sine wave at 65 Hz will definitely show a difference depending on which way the cab is turned.

Since Avatar is tuning up so high, it makes good sense to put the ports on the front. Incidently, this tuning is the same as used in an SBB4 alignment for Delta 10 drivers, except the Avatar cabinet is much too large for SBB4. Each Delta 10 requires 0.52 cubic feet ata 66 Hz for SBB4.
  7. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I suppose me adding: "the sucka be LOUD" sounds completely ridiculous after bgavin's technical explanation!:D
  8. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ummm, no, not really...i understood what you said ;)