1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Front/rear porting together?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by huskies90, Jul 17, 2012.

1. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    For day to day gigging in my rock cover band, I usually use my goliath II (rear ported) and for bigger gigs throw in an Eden D115t (also rear ported) - very happy with setup. A few weeks ago, I blew the 115 speaker, probably cause its only 200w and I was over powering it. This weekend I pulled out my D115XLT for a bigger gig to play with my Goliath II and could not get a good sound. Audience folks said sometimes I was really loud and other times they could not hear me. Obviously I love both cabs. Why did this happen? Is it because the rear ported cab was paired with a front ported cab?

2. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

How were they placed? If the cabs were some distance apart, you will get phase cancellation. The best configuration for cabs is stacked.

ALSO -You need to check the phase of the 2 cabinets. If they are out of phase with each other, you will get exactly the effect you described - hot and dead spots.

Check then using a small battery to see if both cones move in the same direction when a + voltage is applied to the + terminal of both cabs (and - to - of course).

3. Bass from ports is omni-directional.

More then likely it is from mixing different speaker sizes.

Your other 15" cab mixed better then the one you just used.

4. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    They were stacked

5. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    I also have a follow up question, I can't replace the D115t speaker with a new version of what was originally in the cab, because Eden does not make them anymore but I could buy a new XL speaker which might be better because it has more power handling (400w instead of 200w). Will this work ok? Has anyone had experience putting an Eden XL speaker in a non XL cab?