Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frostwave Analog Effects etc.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by maimz, Jul 28, 2001.

1. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    http://www.warmcola.com/frostwave/index.html

..amazing stuff..what more can i say...a two man business with its ear to the ground....supporting the small guy never felt better....check it out!!

little robbie.......who is lusting over the fat controller to use with my sh09.....mmm....analog sequencer!!!

ever heard the resonator.....its an ms20 clone filter....with an envelope follower!! damn it rocks!!

then the funk a duck envelope follower.......very control oriented.....lots of parameters...and a killer sound!

see for yourself!

2. Neat stuff to be sure but I've read from quite a few folks that the Funk-a-duck isn't very bass freindly. Even Paul from Frostwave mailed me to say that. Looks totally great, I love the up-down variable knob, but he says you have to play v e r y carefully or you "fall of the edge" so to speak. I almost bought one but went with a Chunk systems Agent 00Funk instead...it's made for bass. Check it out; http://www.chunk.com.au/a00f.htm

3. JohnP

JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner Guitars, DTAR, Seymour Duncan,
    i had a funk a duck for a while. it's a great pedal, but more for the big picture, as in filter control of a wide spectrum..the controls for bass are in a small range of the pedal..therefore as MR MSub sez..not so good for a live bass thing. but it sounds great! and I bet he could build a bass duck that would kill..but the focus seems to be more toward production then live ..as far as bass goes.

4. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    yeah.....im actually more into the ms20 clone filter alhtough i am considering the same ms20 clone setup from a motm modular system......the modular system clone however does not have an envelope follower.....im sure if there was an interest presented a bass 'ranged' funk a duck could be produced.....also i dont think he is focusing too much on production and studio use as you may think.....many of the frostwave users bring the ms20 clone filter to gig and leave the beast at home....why do you have this impression?

peace....

5. JohnP

JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Chicago
    sort of like electrix..the stuff has a great range and is really useful when you can manipulate it, but in a live situation, it seems a little cumbersome. don't get me wrong, i like the frostwave duck a lot..it just wasn't what i was looking for.

6. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    yeah.......cv control is on the frostwave stuff though .......thats a biggie.....that way you can use a cv expression pedal to control it.....i think electrix best product is the repeater.....too much noise from those filter boxes.....mind you for the price its hard to pass up.......peace

7. Chunk Agent 00 funk also has CV input. I stuck a huge stereo volume knob on the depth control of my Mutron III+ so I could twiddle it w/ my toe. Very handy and it looks funky too.

8. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    yeah....it seems as though ill have to chekc out the chunk stuff.......sounds like a very cool company....again probably a small outfit which is what i like to have my money supporting....

9. exactly my thinking when spending my cash. Service is king in internet land I think. I'd rather fork it over to somebody who takes the time to answer my questions, no matter how petty. PAul Crowther was great for this when I bought his Prunes +Custard and Richard at Chunk gave me EXCELLENT online service. Nice guy. His Bass fuzz is way cool too....very "synthy."

10. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    hey mad.....you realize your next post will mean that your post # will no longer be 69 :)

yeah.....service is king.....brian beller from swr is a guy i talk with quite a bit.....and i mean he is damn busy over there.....proof that a big company can have integrity.....

bass fuzz would be neat........my fave thing is to run my bass through my sh09 and adjust the pulse width modulation......that is very cool....very synthy...go figure...ill have to get some demos of what this synth has allowed me to do.....i have had to do some soul searching as i can only trigger it with my 808...as i have no sequncer...although soon i _will_ get a sequencer....hopefully the frostwave...since it is analog and you can have all the in betweens that make us love analog.....i get a great fuzz sound from my juno 106.....my bass rig cant provide anything that fuzzy yet...but i find the fuzz sound useful....but it can be a tricky thing to have little overlap on the attacks....does the fuzz pedal have a sort of envelope......

also...anyone ever tried the motm sub octave multiplexor...i think it will do 5 simultaneous suboctaves from the source note.....my sh09 also has a sub osc and this is what i use with the envelope follower on it......i cant say enough for the sh09....especially since i can modulate my basslines......something i noticed my phase shifter did after about 12 o clock rate positioning.....in comparison the modulation on the ehx is quite weak.....but i love the woosh....

little robbie.....who is wondering how many modular synth owners are on here?

11. So you run your bass THROUGH the synths you have? I don't get it? You use your drum machines/synth as FX processors? Huh?

12. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    it goes a little something like this:

bass into roland sh09 "ext in"
    -this allows me to use envelope follower without hearing the original bass tone
    -or i can have the envelope follower on to trigger the synth as well as the bass tone side by side, although the bass tone will be variable as the cutoff and frequency are set. but it will be matched with the synth tones.....
    -i can have the modulator mixed into the filter as well.....giving the small stone past 12 o'clock setting...or wobbliness to be lamen......you can set the rate of modulation as well as the "presence" of the modulation......

My options with synth tones are as follows:
    modulator, all are triggerable from env fol'r;
    -sample and hold (takes an average of attacks and regenerates waveforms)
    -sinewave
    -square wave

My oscillator is the next step:
    These are my choices....only one allowed though....bummer!!

-white noise- put this with the suboscillator and your in fuzz heaven......btw....suboscillator is a seperate part of synth where you can have 1 - 3 range of suboctaves present , this is a square waveform....but beware....these suboctaves can distort ;)
    -triangle wave
    -square wave(with square modulation and square oscillator and square suboscillator it can be bad for your heart!!!
    -pulse width modulation(a personal favourite- it is a square wave but the downset of the wave can be lenghened.....or widened......hence the name....this can be made to follow the modulator, the envelope..ADSR...or manual control.....

then there is the mixer.....ie.... vco subosc ext in

from there you have the filterbank.....which is a single bandpass filter.....and this will change the freqency that the env fol'r responds too.....also your bass sounds can be adjusted from the envelope....the sounds being triggered dont have much leeway for tonal changes as the filter is quite tight.....but this will change when i get a sequencer..

my options for the sound generation as as follows...
    hold- constant synth waves.....
    gate - opens and shuts hold notes...hence name..sound cuts out when gate is shut..no decay of notes.
    env- this is determined by the envelope setting...that means.....notes being manually pressed have parameters of envelope...notes allowed to die off......

what i use this last bit for....is this....my 808 has a trig out which is gate controlling......that means that the individual hits of the note i am using on the keyboard can be programmed step style(ie.fruityloops) so i only have to hit the notes i want to sound....and the rhythm can be matched to the beat on the drum machine.....very cool...add some modulation to it and you can get a neat arpeggiation if you match the peaks and valleys of the mudulation wave to the in betweens.....k i just came up from doing this so you caught me at a good time.....peace......

my fave thing to do is have the bass notes

13. What the hell?!? This is crazy....I had no idea. So with a decent midi controller on the floor and a synth i could use it as a honkin' big FX processor? No way. I don't beleive you....ok, I guess I'll have to!

14. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    go digital and you wont be happy.....you need a modular synthesizer.........its hard to find a synth with ext in........well a recent one.....modular is what i would do if i could go back and be different about it.......c....i dont have midi on all my gear...my mpc60 is a midi sequencer.....but with a cv converter it can run my synthtones.....on the sh09 which is very pre midi......you need this....or a true cv sequencer that will maybe sync to midi....i go by ear cuz the oscillators dont sync to anything....my midi keyboards you can have this....but alas...no external input.....modular synths are all about inputs....most keyboard synths or racksynths dont have this feature.........i need to get some demos up.....youd be floored!! im still winging it with this keyboard....and i find it makes me dig deeper.....and i end up coming up with tons of ideas........but again....no patch storage either....but thats why i have a sampler...so it doesnt matter........lately all i need of all my studio is my tr808 and the sh09 and bass of course......i edited my gear list on my profile.....read..actually got off my arse and listed the stuff. check it out...you ever come to ontario?

15. Man....I have to keep reading your posts over and over just to wrap my head around it all....sh09's...mpc60's...tr808's...yer scarin' me! that's not any bass talkin' i've ever heard B4....! Are you sure your on the right forum? I'm going to try and figure this out....are there any analog synths I could do this with that you know of? My DMC ground control stores many presets...

16. JohnP

JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Chicago
    going... going...

17. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    mad subwoofer wrote:

"sh09's...mpc60's...tr808's...yer scarin' me! that's not any bass talkin' i've ever heard B4....! Are you sure your on the right forum?"

well other than the sh09 which i use as a processor/envelope follower the rest are drum machines....the tr808 is legendary....its a roland product that much of the 80's tunes including early rap etc. was done with.....its fully analogue and was used on such albums as beastie boys licensed to ill....think brass monkey or paul revere....the mpc60 is a sampling drum machine made by akai used in hip hop later on down the road....it has the most fluid sequencer ever and was designed by guitarist roger linn....it is old school and only allows you to have 13 seconds of sounds loaded into the stock 750 mb of ram.....but most fast attack drum sounds are only around .3 of a second .basically i got fed up with drummers and bought machines.....hey they never lose timing....and they dont have attitudes and they make you work for your sound....to me beats and bass go hand in hand......so i mean....hell yeah..this is on topic..its also great to give my bass students(i teach) demo tapes with the beat replications to their fave songs to practice with....

mad subwoofer wrote:

are there any analog synths I could do this with that you know of? My DMC ground control stores many presets...

yeah presets are nice....but you lose alot of flexibility and sometimes it sounds like your jocking the next guys sound.....for analogues id still say get a modular.....think of each effect on your DMC effects pedal or whatever.....you may have a phaser....a delay and a filterbank......all of these have inputs that a bass can go into.....and some have multi ins and outs.....so you can "mix and patch" as you wish......believe me......this is where the idea of multieffects boxes came from.......just that the analogues are shielded circuitry and each module has a certain purpose........that way you get only what you need......compared to a keyboard synth where what you get is what youve got.....this you can tailor the modular to what you need....and have lush analogue sound....some day i would like to not have any stompboxes and do it all through a modular.......just large $$$ but a huge bang for the buck...and no end to the scope of the system......i lust over these all the time.....once youve played with one there is no turning back...some friends of mine say a modular synth is more addicting than crack....

18. JohnP

JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Chicago
    Maimz, this is NOT directed at you..it's just a thought-

I like when drummers "lose their timing"..ahh i mean, i like working with a real drummer who has a push pull..not a huge roller coaster up down tempo problem, but a... what is dat ting.."human" feel? I don't mind people with attitudes that much either..and if i do, I don't work with them. humans have attitudes..except for me..

anyway, the groove to me is the interaction of the imperfections..everybody has their own little sloppy human groove, and we all try to make one big sloppy human thang..it just varies from human to human..james Brown to Ornette, Lee Perry to Miles..

i work with samplers and loops all day, but it's just for sketching ideas..the real painting comes in when i can sit down and play with people. and i know this sounds hopelessly "retro" ( a word that should be banned..) but i get the feeling that now that we are in the 2nd or maybe 3rd generation of machine grooves; people sort of expect that whomp whomp whomp beat..and the beauty of the human groove has been lost to the point that when people of a certain age group hear a non machine groove..it sounds "wrong" to them..as in not quite perfectly quantizied..and you bet I know about post modern theories and the new tools for new times ideas on art too, but this is a major paradigm shift, and I do not like it much.

i have no idea what this has to do with the frostwave stuff..except maybe some manufacturers of analog gear still understand that there is this thing called dynamics when you play, and their gear doesn't bury it. frostwave, Dredgetone, Paul Crowther..

19. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Originally posted by JohnP [/i]

Maimz, this is NOT directed at you..it's just a thought-

i like working with a real drummer who has a push pull..

for me this was the problem....all drummers that i have ever worked with know they have push and pull....and thats when they turn into tyrants....

groove to me is the interaction of the imperfections..everybody has their own little sloppy human groove, and we all try to make one big sloppy human thang..

yeah....for my productions ive been working on it would cost me a fortune to rent a drummer let alone tell them what to do ....and give them the beat ......then get the sound bang on.....maybe im the control freak

i work with samplers and loops all day, but it's just for sketching ideas..the real painting comes in when i can sit down and play with people.

sounds like a cool approach...if i wasnt in the "styx" of canada maybe i would be able to find the type of people who had a similar vision as i do.....im trying to be ground breaking here......thats a very hard thing to do.....my vision of music is hard to get others to follow....i think im better off by myself for now..

i know this sounds hopelessly "retro" ( a word that should be banned..) but i get the feeling that now that we are in the 2nd or maybe 3rd generation of machine grooves;

yes.....maybe 4th by now....i give you people credit who dont want to go with the grain....me im a product of the early 80's......but my parents listen to blues...bob seger stuff ...allmans etc...i always liked the trippy stuff from years gone by as well.....im very eclectic with what i will listen to but production is very different for me.....i have never been able to follow a vision working with drummers...and i have worked with some very talented people that made my life miserable when the day was over.....

people sort of expect that whomp whomp whomp beat..

yep....ive been into the rave scene for a while both in detroits techno/electro scene......as well as torontos drum and bass scene.....and you know what....these are all crying for a group that can do this stuff live.....but it always seems like it will never happen....the UK has brought this to the table with roni size' side project....

and the beauty of the human groove has been lost to the point that when people of a certain age group hear a non machine groove..it sounds "wrong" to them..as in not quite perfectly quantizied..

yeah but your sayinig this as a bass player.....most people cant tell in the first place....ive noticed that alot.....ive had total mishaps amaze people....ive made alot of my beats with quanti off ......

and you bet I know about post modern theories and the new tools for new times ideas on art too, but this is a major paradigm shift, and I do not like it much.

im a bit in between.......i dont have pro tools....liek to be all analog......i only have one 16 bit piece of gear.....k2000rs sampler.....so im a purist to some extent....and will be using tape to record onto....if i ever get into a real studio.. ;)

i have no idea what this has to do with the frostwave stuff..

nothing....anymore......it became a thread on many things....and thats fine with the powers that be as far as i know....

except maybe some manufacturers of analog gear still understand that there is this thing called dynamics when you play

yes...i feel you man...ill assure you that the people are a stronger piece of the puzzle than the manufacturers......and more important its the people that arent afraid to talk about it.....liner notes are powerful.....

20. Digital Music Corporation's Ground Control is just a fancy Midi controller...it will store combinations of midi information. Not an FX device...