1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Frostwave Resonator

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Shroom, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Shroom

Shroom

Dec 12, 2006
    Anyone have any soundclips with a bass hooked into it?

2. Shroom

Shroom

Dec 12, 2006
    No one has any clips of this thing at all?

3. vier-personen

vier-personen

Apr 10, 2006
    I don´t have clips of the resonator with bass-guitar and haven´t seen them on the net, though I have been looking.

since I doesn´t have an envelope follower built in you can get a lot of information from the samples with drum machines on frostwaves site - just a thought.

4. Shroom

Shroom

Dec 12, 2006
    I checked em out, but it's still kinda tricky to picture how it would affect a signal from a bass :/

5. lmfao what an awesome name for a pedal.

CAPTAIN, WE'VE LOST CONTROL OF OUR FROSTWAVE RESONATORS!

6. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    The problem with "how's this sound on bass?" is that this thing covers a pretty huge range of possibilities depending on what you use to control it.

I'm sure it'd be great with an envelope follower, but I don't have one for it right now. I think it works best with fuzz or distortion before it, but then, I don't much like modulation/LFO style effects.

Here's a quick clip of a couple random things on it. For all of them, there's a moogerfooger CP-251 controlling both the cutoffs. Two things about the clips... I'm new to recording and have a terrible setup, so they're not the highest quality. Also, I had the resonance a little high on one of the filters so in the clean and OD parts the effect seems a little separated from the dry to me... thats not always the case.

*** For anyone listening that isn't quite sure how this works, the filters don't move around without an external control of some kind. Without one it ends up being kind of like a big variation on an EQ pedal.***

Chain went Wooley Mammoth>Honey Bee OD>Resonator.

1) Clean
    2) Just the resonator with an LFO and lots of clean signal mixed in.
    3) Bad slapping with a faster LFO and and the filters more foused on the mids.
    4) A couple chords with OD and slower LFO
    5) Sample and hold
    6) Fuzz and cheap imitation filter sweeps with bad timing on the LFO... Not even trying to be musical here, just random chords and notes to show the sweep.

This barely scratches the surface of the possibilites, but it covers a couple of the things we seem to talk about alot around here.

7. vier-personen

vier-personen

Apr 10, 2006
    hey, thanks! the filter sounds great, nice & full...